Need to run a service

Ok so I got an old program from an old pc running Windows XP, I've copied all the data to launch the program but I cannot launch the program as it gives me the error connection failed. I managed to recreate the problem on the original PC after stopping a service. I copied the data of this service to my Windows 10 PC and the only thing stopping me from running the program on Windows 10 is to run this service. I do not have the original installation media for this service so I need to make it work like this. When I try to launch sqlservr.exe it gives me the error : "SQL Server could not find the default instance (MSSQLSERVER) - please specify the name of an existing instance on the invocation of sqlserver.exe. If you believe that your installation is corrupt or has been tampered with, uninstall then re-run setup to correct this problem." 

Anyone know how to solve this ?

Thanks in advance

You need to install SQL Server. 

The application stores some stuff in a database. SQL server opens databases, reads records, updates records and all that... the application simply connects to the SQL server and tells it to do stuff on the database and give it information from database.

You may need to add SQL Server to your firewall in case it was installed by the application, but it wouldn't surprise me if the SQL server compatible with your application can no longer be installed on Windows 10, or there's some silly compatibility problems.

Ok, is it ok to install SQL Server 2000 ? It seems to install ok .. but the error persists

After you install it, you may have to start the SQL Server service and you may have to add the executable of the service in the firewall otherwise the application may be unable to connect to it.

SQL server has to run in background, like a web server, otherwise programs can't connect to it.

SQL server is just a database engine.  You likely need the proper database schema setup.  This happens during the installation process along with lots of other things.

This is why programs need to be installed, not copy/transferred.  Only the developer of the program knows all the steps needed for their program to run properly and puts them into an installation script.  This is why installation exists, to put all the pieces in place for the software to work correctly.

Sometimes you can contact the developer, reinstall the app from original source, setup a virtual machine.  There's lots of options besides pulling your hair out and trying to reverse engineer the installation process without knowing where to start.

Right now I turned off Windows Firewall to not deal with it blocking anything. I did install SQL Server 2000 now I'd like you to tell me where I need to go to run it. In services I don't find anything related to SQL not even stopped services. 

I'm sorry for being very vague but I've been trying to launch this program for days and I feel that I am sooooo close. I REALLY appreciate your help.

1 minute ago, Paul Vreeland said:

SQL server is just a database engine.  You likely need the proper database schema setup.  This happens during the installation process along with lots of other things.

This is why programs need to be installed, not copy/transferred.  Only the developer of the program knows all the steps needed for their program to run properly and puts them into an installation script.  This is why installation exists, to put all the pieces in place for the software to work correctly.

Sometimes you can contact the developer, reinstall the app from original source, setup a virtual machine.  There's lots of options besides pulling your hair out and trying to reverse engineer the installation process without knowing where to start.

The problem with that is the company that made this software is no longer in business so we can't really contact them.. :/

It sounds like your options are:

1. Locate original installation media
  2. Pull your hair out trying to debug the installation without actually installing

I wouldn't recommend #2.  I develop software and even I wouldn't try to reverse engineer something unless it was worth it.  By worth it, I mean when you are done, you are instantly awarded a million dollars or more, not you just saved a few hundred or thousand dollars.  The skill level and headache it takes to reverse engineer something is usually in the hacker realm and it isn't a cheap skill.  If you are doing this for a client, you will be getting phone calls forever and you will become the single point of failure without vendor support when something breaks...and it will break.  You will regret that you kind of almost got it working enough that the client got excited they saved a few bucks.

You can prevent this scenario in the future by making backup copies of any critical business software, product keys, and even virtualize old physical machines into virtual machines before the SHTF.  I even tell clients "treat this little sticker with the product key like gold and put it somewhere safe".  Their losing installation media and the cost of replacement is their lesson to hang onto it next time.

I've tried going down this headache before for clients and it ends up with just a big "tried and failed" bill and a client that ended up just buying current supported software in the end because the cost of doing business on broken software finally rang true to just pony up the dough and move on.

If you are still intent on going down this road of option #2.  You can start by migrating the SQL schema from the XP machine to the new machine.  Also, keep your cell phone on and handy at all times.  You are now official support person for this unsupported software.  Welcome to the seventh circle of tech hell. :)