Programs Opening On Startup (settings say disabled)

Andrewf
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Sorry I miss read your post before I replied. I was on my phone and read too quickly.

Your problem is, as you have guessed it, "Pick up where I left off", enabled by default since the last update, it starts up your last programs. Compatible programs will even reload your last project/file you were working on.

To disable it, simply go to Cortana search box, click on the Notebook icon on the left side menu (under Home icon), select "Pick up where I left off", turn it off, and hit the Save button, yes, we know, it is the only area in Windows 10 where you have to click Save/Apply with those toggle switch. Don't worry, Microsoft already fixed this design mistake on Insiders for the next build of Windows 10 coming up in (estimated: March), among other changes to Cortana.

I'll start off by saying yes, I've checked Task Manager, and specific program settings, all options are disabled or turned off.

I make sure I close everything before shutting down my computer, but for some reason some programs still open on startup, and it isn't always the same program either:

Spotify

Sometimes Chrome

Sometimes Bittorrent

Sometimes Discord

This started happening after a recent Windows update that I manually selected to install, here's the info.

For obvious reasons, Google showed no results because this could be a very recent issue, and all results point towards the obvious task manager startup settings.

Any ideas? Perhaps some registry edits are in order?

OS

2018-01-17 (2).png

Open a run box. Type in MSCONFIG and hit enter. Then look under the Startup Tab for the programs giving issues

6 minutes ago, Saieshan Dadi said:

Open a run box. Type in MSCONFIG and hit enter. Then look under the Startup Tab for the programs giving issues

That only points me to task manager, and as I said, everything is disabled. Only necessary programs are enabled to startup under task manager.

2018-01-17 (3).png

Make sure you have a Startup folder under Programs in both your personal start menu:

C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

13 minutes ago, Saieshan Dadi said:

Make sure you have a Startup folder under Programs in both your personal start menu:

C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I do have a folder in both places, both folders are empty. What does that mean?

Delete both Startup folders in both locations.Restart the computer and go to each location and create a new folder "Startup", again restart the computer. Now if you take a look at MSconfig the startup tab should have startup items displayed.

15 minutes ago, Saieshan Dadi said:

Delete both Startup folders in both locations.Restart the computer and go to each location and create a new folder "Startup", again restart the computer. Now if you take a look at MSconfig the startup tab should have startup items displayed.

MSconfig still shows the same thing, however both times starting up my computer nothing opened, so somewhere something must have worked. For now.

Keep us posted although it sounds like the problem isn't fixed it's just iffy on when it shows up

14 minutes ago, Saieshan Dadi said:

Keep us posted although it sounds like the problem isn't fixed it's just iffy on when it shows up

Will do. I really appreciate the help so far!

Sounds like you have programs that set itself as startup under Task Scheduler. Look in there.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Sounds like you have programs that set itself as startup under Task Scheduler. Look in there.

Very clever! I checked immediately however, I saw nothing out of the ordinary, am I looking in the right place?

Also, the issue doesn't seem to be fully resolved yet, spotify still opens sometimes. Perhaps I somehow have a settings turned on that is similar to the mac settings of "Resume programs after restart". I haven't tested it yet but maybe I'm not fully closing these programs when I turn off my computer so when it turns back on, the programs I hadn't manually closed before shutting down are opening as if "resuming where I left off". I'll keep this posted.

2018-01-18 (2).png

Sorry I miss read your post before I replied. I was on my phone and read too quickly.

Your problem is, as you have guessed it, "Pick up where I left off", enabled by default since the last update, it starts up your last programs. Compatible programs will even reload your last project/file you were working on.

To disable it, simply go to Cortana search box, click on the Notebook icon on the left side menu (under Home icon), select "Pick up where I left off", turn it off, and hit the Save button, yes, we know, it is the only area in Windows 10 where you have to click Save/Apply with those toggle switch. Don't worry, Microsoft already fixed this design mistake on Insiders for the next build of Windows 10 coming up in (estimated: March), among other changes to Cortana.