DSL - UDP cable problem

Go to solution Solved by Sp1c3,
Just now, Lurick said:

Not a problem man, I just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to connect DSL into an RJ-45 port as I've seen some people try to do weird things, lol

A thanks is more than enough for me :)

:D

Hey!

I currently have internet, but here is the deal... My DSL cable is wired with wires, there are no ethernet jacks/outlets.

2 wires that are (Orange/white and Orange) are connected to the phone cable(Green and Red) which is on one end wired with the DSL cable that comes from the pole outside and on the other side there is an RJ45 connector that goes into the router.

I want to get rid of that phone cable and extend the DSL wire with new UDP ethernet cable which needs to have only an RJ45 connector that will go into the router. Meaning I only need to cut one side out. But my main concern is that the Green and Red wires of the phone(Cat 3) cable are in the middle of the RJ45 connector. Will there be some problem if I just twist same colors of the DSL cable and the new UDP cable? Since the wiring order for the CAT 5 cable is different and it has more wires. 

I hope this isn't confusing and gave it my best in describing the situation of my problem

Thanks in advance!

So you want to extend your phone line using ethernet cable instead? That's fine so long as the wires on both ends match, you won't follow the RJ-45 wiring output when you do this.

If you're also talking about removing your DSL router and swapping it for a router with just ethernet, that won't work.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So you want to extend your phone line using ethernet cable instead? That's fine so long as the wires on both ends match, you won't follow the RJ-45 wiring output when you do this.

If you're also talking about removing your DSL router and swapping it for a router with just ethernet, that won't work.

So there will be no problem if just match the colors and I don't have to worry about the position of wires in the RJ45 connector? I just need the connection for my router to work normally that's all i need.

This all sounds very confusing.

An RJ45 is an clear 8 pin connector. It is used for ethernet.

An RJ11/12 - WE6 is a clear 6* pin connector. It is used for telephony.

A BT6 is another 6* pin connector. It is used for telephony in Britain.

* often not all pins are present in the plug.

I have never heard of a router that accepts ADSL on an RJ45 port.

Edit: Actually perhaps I recall seeing some with an RJ45 port and a small insert that reduces the size to that of an RJ11.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Just now, Sp1c3 said:

So there will be no problem if just match the colors and I don't have to worry about the position of wires in the RJ45 connector? I just need the connection for my router to work normally that's all i need.

So long as the wires on both sides of the RJ-45 connector mirror each other and line-up with the DSL cable then you're good.

So for example if the DSL wires are in position 1 and 2 then your ethernet cable needs to have the same two wires (on both sides) in position 1 and 2, the rest doesn't matter.

You are just using this to extend the cable right and you'll be running a phone line cable from the other end into the router?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Why wouldn't you just add a new cable joined to the old with a coupler?

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Here is a picture of my wiring problem, my god this is ugly...

Painted the situation.png

21 minutes ago, Lurick said:

So long as the wires on both sides of the RJ-45 connector mirror each other and line-up with the DSL cable then you're good.

So for example if the DSL wires are in position 1 and 2 then your ethernet cable needs to have the same two wires (on both sides) in position 1 and 2, the rest doesn't matter.

You are just using this to extend the cable right and you'll be running a phone line cable from the other end into the router?

Hey here is a picture!

Painted the situation.png

1 minute ago, Sp1c3 said:

Hey here is a picture!

-snip-

So you'll just be extending the cable through the wall or something and then running a phone cable from the other end back into the router?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Sp1c3 said:

I'm fucking confused...

Are you going to take the DSL line coming in, connect it to RJ-45 cable, have that run to somewhere, and then connect another phone cable to the other end and plug that into your router?

If the answer is yes, you're fine.

If the answer is no, then it won't work.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Are you going to take the DSL line coming in, connect it to RJ-45 cable, have that run to somewhere, and then connect another phone cable to the other end and plug that into your router?

If the answer is yes, you're fine.

If the answer is no, then it won't work.

Can you explain something to me?

The DSL cable can be extended with a normal UTP cable?

but after then i get it where I want it to be i have to take the phone cable that is currently connected to the router and get that on the NEW extended line.

And which port is the DSL port on my router RJ11 or RJ45

Just now, Sp1c3 said:

Can you explain something to me?

The DSL cable can be extended with a normal UTP cable?

but after then i get it where I want it to be i have to take the phone cable that is currently connected to the router and get that on the NEW extended line.

And which port is the DSL port on my router RJ11 or RJ45

Correct, you can extend it with UTP cable just fine once you extend it you have to add phone cable onto the other end.

The DSL port is going to be RJ11

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Correct, you can extend it with UTP cable just fine once you extend it you have to add phone cable onto the other end.

The DSL port is going to be RJ11

So that meaning I can just reuse the one I'm using now, But I have to watch that colors of the DSL cable and the UTP cable match?

Just now, Sp1c3 said:

So that meaning I can just reuse the one I'm using now, But I have to watch that colors of the DSL cable and the UTP cable match?

Yup, just use the same pinout on both sides of the UTP cable and you'll be good.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

7 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yup, just use the same pinout on both sides of the UTP cable and you'll be good.

Thank you so much. You just saved me. Thanks for the patience and thanks for taking your time to explain this stuff to me. You see I'm just 17 years old and I know nothing of how to wiring and that stuff. My parents gave me the permission to relocate the router so that's why I'm asking. So I can use a long ethernet cable that has to go to my room that is 10 meters away or in retarded units 32 ft and 9.7 in. But still, thank you for your time. Is there any way or shape or form that I can give you thumbs up on your profile or something?

Just now, Sp1c3 said:

Thank you so much. You just saved me. Thanks for the patience and thanks for taking your time to explain this stuff to me. You see I'm just 17 years old and I know nothing of how to wiring and that stuff. My parents gave me the permission to relocate the router so that's why I'm asking. So I can use a long ethernet cable that has to go to my room that is 10 meters away or in retarded units 32 ft and 9.7 in. But still, thank you for your time. Is there any way or shape or form that I can give you thumbs up on your profile or something?

Not a problem man, I just wanted to make sure you weren't trying to connect DSL into an RJ-45 port as I've seen some people try to do weird things, lol

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

:D