Help me upgrade from 2012 to 2018

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so go easy:)))

I built my PC back in 2012, so everything is now super outdated except from the MSI 970 I put inside 2 years ago (still old by today's tech I know, but new as hell compared to everything else inside the system) I'm looking to upgrade/replace/add some parts and I'd love some help with this, since I know this forum is riddled with knowledge on the latest and greatest!

To start off with, I'm looking for someone to sell me on if I should go with AMD or Intel, with all the new CPUs that have recently come out. Which will best fits my needs? I'm not on a gigantic 2k18 Linus budget or anything, but I'm looking to run lots and lots of chrome tabs smoothly and also game at high settings (not at the same time).

To go along with whichever CPU you think I should choose, I need a Micro ATX motherboard to go along with it - and seeing as its 2018, one with RGB lighting - if that's even a thing on MATX motherboards?

A MATX motherboard means an MATX case, something like a Corsair Air 240/Thermaltake Core V21 is what I'm going for here, open to suggestions - I want to fit a H100i inside so take that into consideration.

Finally, I'm looking to purchase the best budget SSD and 16GB memory kit I can find. The SSD only needs to store my OS to be honest, maybe one or two games, and I'd like the memory not to look like complete trash inside the small form factor, godly PC I'm building here to replace my BitFenix Shinobi, 2k12 extreme build with (excuse my bad internet humour).

Any and all help with this is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

All the best

- Eliott

Totally forgot to mention that I currently have a CX600M PSU - should this be upgraded for the components you're kindly going to suggest for me? Or will it do just fine and also be compatible with your case of choice?

Regards xx

Any reason for the smaller font?

Without an actual budget, suggesting anything is pointless.

What parts, if any do you want to reuse?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Depends what you are doing with the pc.

For gaming, Intel wins hands down. For multi-tasking, video editing and such then AMD Ryzen wins hands down.

What is your budget?

If you are using lots of Chrome tabs, then I'd buy a used refurbished pc from newegg or bestbuy, you can snap up a 4th gen intel for $250-$350 very easily, and if you buy brand new well you will be spending double, and for internet browsing, save your money and buy used. The O/S alone on the new pc will be $100, case, psu more money.

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

For gaming, Intel wins hands down.

Ryzen holds its own in gaming pretty well. It's not actually as bad as AMD used to be with the FX line that got completely trashed by just about any Core i5.

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

The O/S alone on the new pc will be $100

Get a copy of Windows off Kinguin for ~$20

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Get a copy of Windows off Kinguin for ~$20

Ebay for $7 is way better option. Kinguin is not reliable.

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

$120 for 3rd gen - Refurbished: Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF 3470 3.20GHz 4GB 160GB Win 7 Pro 1 Yr Wty

4th gen i3 for $200, 4th gen i5 for $225 i7 4th gen $310

Prices sure have come down in the last year or so for used pc's

I bought i5-4th gen from bestbuy for $300 a 2-3 years ago and the prices then held steady for 2 years and its working great, compared to my AMD piece of shit from 2010 that always froze on internet pages.

Its making me wonder now, I should sell my i7-920 X58 LGA-1366 system with a spare Xeon 5650 cpu thats been sitting unused since I bought it a year or so ago for $150, see if I can get that back.

In another year the used prices for pc's will be even cheaper. But X58 systems seem to be holding value.

12 minutes ago, brob said:

Any reason for the smaller font?

Without an actual budget, suggesting anything is pointless.

What parts, if any do you want to reuse?

Copied and pasted the thread from another website haha, apologies. 

The price isn't really the biggest concern for me, just wanna find out what all fits the way I see it in my mind. Roughly £200 on the CPU (bit more or bit less is fine), lets call it 100 max on the MATX case.

Not sure how much the kind of MB I'm looking for costs exactly so I cant really say. As for the SSD and Memory, the cheapest possible route to what I specified those two things to accomplish in the original post, is what I'm looking for - Hope all that made sense haha:))

(Only parts I'll be reusing from my current system is the GPU, and the PSU if it'll fit and work well like I talked about in the additional post I made just underneath the original)

16 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Depends what you are doing with the pc.

For gaming, Intel wins hands down. For multi-tasking, video editing and such then AMD Ryzen wins hands down.

What is your budget?

If you are using lots of Chrome tabs, then I'd buy a used refurbished pc from newegg or bestbuy, you can snap up a 4th gen intel for $250-$350 very easily, and if you buy brand new well you will be spending double, and for internet browsing, save your money and buy used. The O/S alone on the new pc will be $100, case, psu more money.

Not doing hardcore 4k 2k25 gaming or anything haha, but would like to be able to run current titles, while also being able to multitask with lots of chrome tabs haha. My previous reply on this thread says about the 'budget' or what I think is roughly needed to be spent to purchase the sort of system I'd like. Again, you guys are the experts, so you guys take the lead:))

9 minutes ago, eliott119 said:

b

Buy used pc, 4th gen intel and a decent gpu. No need to buy new, save your money!

This is a great website to compare cpu's

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Group-/3647vs10

Not much gain from 4th gen to latest and greatest, never was much gain.

Since I am bored, and its -31C I will list some comparisons and give you listings of possible used pc's to consider.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4770-vs-Intel-Core-i7-6700/1978vs3515

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Buy used pc, 4th gen intel and a decent gpu. No need to buy new, save your money!

This is a great website to compare cpu's

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Group-/3647vs10

Not much gain from 4th gen to latest and greatest, never was much gain.

Would rather by a CPU new, just the way I'm wired haha - which would you recommend along with a motherboard? I already have a GPU (MSI 970) 

6 minutes ago, eliott119 said:

CPU new

OK waste your money on something you do not need, typical first worlder problem.

Take a look at this first.

First link, used pc's

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100019096 601190658 601190659

*I mean seriously, $250 for a decent rig.

Second link current gen pc's

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100019096 601190660 601190668 601286690 601286692 601304710 601304715

*See how the price now jumps to $450 and goes up quickly from there with an average range of $550.

I can think of many things I can spend the $300 savingson right now!

For instance, a decent GPU, if you so desire for gaming.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709 4814 601201888 601204369 601296707 601301599 601203818&IsNodeId=1&cm_sp=Cat_video-Cards_1-_-Visnav-_-Gaming-Video-Cards_2

Then you'd still have a couple hunnies left over to spend on anything you wish!

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

OK waste your money on something you do not need, typical first worlder problem.

Take a look at this first.

First link, used pc's

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100019096 601190658 601190659

*I mean seriously, $250 for a decent rig.

Second link current gen pc's

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100019096 601190660 601190668 601286690 601286692 601304710 601304715

*See how the price now jumps to $450 and goes up quickly from there with an average range of $550.

I can think of many things I can spend the $300 savingson right now!

For instance, a decent GPU, if you so desire.

Just not into buying used items, that doesn't mean I'm all about first worlder problems or whatever haha - thanks for your help:))

3 minutes ago, eliott119 said:

Just

Ok then $550+ for a new system, plus an extra $150 for a decent gpu, is $700, plus O/S is an extra $100, now is $800usd for new pc.

Remember that refurbished comes with o/s.

But new it is!!!!!!!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883287841

The existing psu could be used, but I'd suggest a newer design of better quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£287.79 @ Alza) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  (£40.28 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370M D3H (rev. 1.0) Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£116.97 @ Box Limited) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (£193.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£124.95 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  (Purchased For £0.00) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini C TG MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£79.98 @ Novatech) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£75.63 @ CCL Computers) 
Total: £918.60
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-10 20:09 GMT+0000

49 minutes ago, eliott119 said:

I'm looking for someone to sell me on if I should go with AMD or Intel

9 hours ago, eliott119 said:

Hi there, I'm new to this forum so go easy:)))

I built my PC back in 2012, so everything is now super outdated except from the MSI 970 I put inside 2 years ago (still old by today's tech I know, but new as hell compared to everything else inside the system) I'm looking to upgrade/replace/add some parts and I'd love some help with this, since I know this forum is riddled with knowledge on the latest and greatest!

To start off with, I'm looking for someone to sell me on if I should go with AMD or Intel, with all the new CPUs that have recently come out. Which will best fits my needs? I'm not on a gigantic 2k18 Linus budget or anything, but I'm looking to run lots and lots of chrome tabs smoothly and also game at high settings (not at the same time).

To go along with whichever CPU you think I should choose, I need a Micro ATX motherboard to go along with it - and seeing as its 2018, one with RGB lighting - if that's even a thing on MATX motherboards?

A MATX motherboard means an MATX case, something like a Corsair Air 240/Thermaltake Core V21 is what I'm going for here, open to suggestions - I want to fit a H100i inside so take that into consideration.

Finally, I'm looking to purchase the best budget SSD and 16GB memory kit I can find. The SSD only needs to store my OS to be honest, maybe one or two games, and I'd like the memory not to look like complete trash inside the small form factor, godly PC I'm building here to replace my BitFenix Shinobi, 2k12 extreme build with (excuse my bad internet humour).

Any and all help with this is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

All the best

- Eliott

With the latest intel news I am sold on AMD ryzen. All the benchmarks and tests have been done the result is that ryzen and latest intel CPUs are both about the same. AMD has the one benefit of being priced better (especially right now as AMD just made price cuts as ryzen2 will be coming later this year) 

amd-pricing-1200x659.jpg?width=960

There is a list of the prices just incase maybe you want to get threadripper instead.

The fact that you dont need a "K" cpu to do overclocking is a nice plus just be sure to get an x370 board instead of the cheaper b350 ones. But then again you are limited to m-atx you said so your options are: this biostar x370 board or various b350 boards and you will have to check how good the VRM is on them yourself. I do not have a case suggestion and ram depends on the day I would suggest checking /r/bapcsales or /r/bapcsales<country>

Are you looking for NVME SSD or a normal sata 6 gb/s SSD?

9 hours ago, Ckdota said:

With the latest intel news I am sold on AMD ryzen. All the benchmarks and tests have been done the result is that ryzen and latest intel CPUs are both about the same. AMD has the one benefit of being priced better (especially right now as AMD just made price cuts as ryzen2 will be coming later this year) 

Curiously you do not provide any links to the "latest Intel news". If you are talking about Meltdown and Spectre, https://www.anandtech.com/show/12214/understanding-meltdown-and-spectre, I would point out that almost all current cpu are affected by Spectre. Most importantly one should understand that any attack has to be local, i.e. targeted at a particular machine; and attacks are non-destructive. That is, they can read data in memory but can't effect alterations.

Nor do I see any links to support the contention that Ryzen and Coffee Lake cpu have roughly equivalent benchmarks. The claim is simply unsupportable as a general case. Ryzen is usually better with heavily multithreaded applications. It typically gets spanked in benchmarks of single and lightly multithreaded applications. Choosing the optimal cpu for a build should be based on typical usage and budget. Insisting on one or the other brand is silly.