Battlestation Desk Setup Help Needed

Revamp

Hello,

So as I patiently wait for my NFC Skyreach 4 mini to arrive, I am trying to just my battlestation set up and ready. I need some help on how I should go about building my battlestation to keep it clean and minimal.

I currently use a basic 48" Ikea desk and there isn't enough room to hold my modem router and UPS. I need to redo my setup in order to cleanly hold all this while keeping all my PC gaming needs confined to my desk. Currently the UPS is sitting in my closet still brand new because I can't figure out how I want to get it near the desk without appearing tacky. My modem and router are sitting on a little floating shelf by the cable outlet temporarily and is rather just in the way with how my room is setup.

What desks and organization extras would you all recommend?

Budget: $500

Goals: Clean minimal setup, enough room and organization methods to house my computer, 1 34" ultrawide monitor, modem, router, cyberpower 1500 UPS, and able to manage all the cables and such.

What I'm looking for: Need help on picking out a desk, legs/stands, and any form of organization to be able to house the UPS, modem, and router neatly.

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

I wonder... You are talking about a "battlestation desk setup", so you sound like someone who cares about FPS and online gaming and such. Then you start talking about your modem/router/switch on your desk while it's currently in a closed...

My advice: get the modem with the shortest cables to your acces point. The point in your home where the cables enter your home. This is the best for performance as far as I know. After that, just use ethernet cables, and forget wireless junk. A battlestation should use stable cabled interwebs. So I fixed that problem for you.

Other questions: Look at a "hardware store" or IKEA and look at things what you like. Get inspiration yourself by looking at actual things. And then build your own. (I bet you know some people with some skills if you haven't got any of your own)

11 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

I wonder... You are talking about a "battlestation desk setup", so you sound like someone who cares about FPS and online gaming and such. Then you start talking about your modem/router/switch on your desk while it's currently in a closed...

My advice: get the modem with the shortest cables to your acces point. The point in your home where the cables enter your home. This is the best for performance as far as I know. After that, just use ethernet cables, and forget wireless junk. A battlestation should use stable cabled interwebs. So I fixed that problem for you.

Other questions: Look at a "hardware store" or IKEA and look at things what you like. Get inspiration yourself by looking at actual things. And then build your own. (I bet you know some people with some skills if you haven't got any of your own)

Thanks for the reply!

to reply to a couple of your comments.

I actually live in an apartment and how it's setup (quite tacky imo but landlord wont let us drill holes in the walls) is the splitter is right behind the front door, with a cable tucked under the trim to the living room and my room. Both cables being about the same length give or take a foot. I have no way to really place the router behind the front door without it getting smashed when our kid shoves the door open lol. If I place it within my desk It'll allow me to remove the floating shelf and clean up the room, while making the sacrifice of adding at most an 8foot cable extension tucked under the base boards.

When I say battlestation, I more mean a tech/nerdy workstation. I do a lot of professional grade photography editing and such so it isn't really purely about FPS. I am mostly concerned with how to go about placing the UPS on/near the desk for ease of use. Also being able to move the modem/router will allow me to combine the cable management within my desk cable tray and such. As it sits, the floating shelf was a temporary placement so I have 2 power cords, cable cord, Ethernet(?) cable from the modem to router, and all that jazz ran down the wall. Didn't want to install a cable runner yet as like mentioned, it is just temporary.

I have crept the show off your setup, but most people tend to use power strips, or have offsite places they hide their UPS and use long extension cables for power. I don't really have these means as my closet is like 3ftx3ft and filled with clothes & storage totes while I save to go house shopping.

Thanks again!

Josh

Osmium: NFC Skyreach 4 // i7-8700k (delidd) // GTX 1080 // 32GB DDR4-3200Mhz // 1TB 960 Evo M.2 // 1.1TB MX300 m.2
Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow // Razer Orbweaver // Razer Kraken // Logitech G502 // Logitech K830 // LG 34UC88-B

Usage: Adobe Lightroom // Adobe Photoshop // Web Dev // Recording Gameplay // Video Editing // Portable Gaming

17 minutes ago, Revamp said:

Budget: $500

Goals: Clean minimal setup, enough room and organization methods to house my computer, 1 34" ultrawide monitor, modem, router, cyberpower 1500 UPS, and able to manage all the cables and such.

What I'm looking for: Need help on picking out a desk, legs/stands, and any form of organization to be able to house the UPS, modem, and router neatly.

This is really a personal opinion I prefer functional too so with clean you probably want as few clutter on your desk as possible, I have a desk from Ikea which is called Fredde where you have a lot of shelves and cable holes for making it look nice I was too lazy to manage the cables after I went to a Lan so this is what it looks like I have my old desktop and a subwoofer down on the shelves but this is personal prefference.

Spoiler

IMG_20170211_153444.thumb.jpg.ad0c2e05dd0600527c52dfff88e207a1.jpg

Desktop

CPUi5-6600K MotherboardGigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P CPU Cooler: Thermalright True Spirit 120M Black/white RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Gigabyte 1070 HDDs: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM  SSDSamsung EVO 850 500GB PSU: Coolermaster 550W 80+ Gold Case: NZXT S340 (White) with a white led strip ;)

Laptops

Dell 7577

CPUi7 7700HQ RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: GTX1060 Max-q HDD: 1TB 5400 RPM  SSDNVMe 512GB SCREEN: 4k IPS 15.6"

Macbook pro 2018

CPUi7 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2400Mhz GPU: Radeon Pro 555X 4GB Storage256GB SCREEN: 15"

4 minutes ago, EG! said:

This is really a personal opinion I prefer functional too so with clean you probably want as few clutter on your desk as possible, I have a desk from Ikea which is called Fredde where you have a lot of shelves and cable holes for making it look nice I was too lazy to manage the cables after I went to a Lan so this is what it looks like I have my old desktop and a subwoofer down on the shelves but this is personal prefference.

Hide contents

IMG_20170211_153444.thumb.jpg.ad0c2e05dd0600527c52dfff88e207a1.jpg

Oh, I really like that, and the shelves would definitely be able to house the modem/router & UPS on it nicely!

Thanks for your input I will run by Ikea later this week (just went last weekend briefly) and see how she looks in person.

Edit: How sturdy is the desk as far as bumps? I have a 3yr old running around and he likes to climb in my chair and lean into my desk "To be like me" and when he leans, I more mean falls into and lets the desk catch him LOL. My stuff gets shaken around a bit from time to time.