Why Is HDMI More Popular Than DisplayPort?

So HDMI came out back in 2001 and it still widely used 17 years later but DisplayPort released in 2008 is still not used that often 10 years later in things such as consoles or TVs 

Is HDMI just a cheaper source?

HDMI is actually more expensive as it requires royalities, but people are familiar with HDMI as it was out first and it does the job. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

HDMI is actually more expensive as it requires royalities, but people are familiar with HDMI as it was out first and it does the job. 

And pretty much everything has a HDMI 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

So HDMI came out back in 2001 and it still widely used 17 years later but DisplayPort released in 2008 is still not used that often 10 years later in things such as consoles or TVs 

TV companies got together and created HDMI as a joint effort. Anyone who wants to be compatible with any TV has to use HDMI.

7 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

HDMI is simply the better known standard for main stream consumers. It is hanging on despite better technologies like display port much like VGA did for years (and VGA kind of still is hanging on too). Besides, the newest HDMI standard supports 4k 60HZ which is about the most anybody needs in the console/TV industry. Also, the lock on display port can be problematic (I broke an adapter in half trying to take out one once).

For you "average user" HDMI will do everything they need.  Since there are a billion TVs out there with HDMI and only 10 million Displayport equipped monitors and GPUs, it is the standard.

4 minutes ago, AtomicWaveBlast said:

I rarely see audiovisual systems with the option to use DisplayPort. I have found that it's a comforting to those who are not as tech savvy to ask for HDMI, a technology they have been more aware of due to mass standardization. This used to be the same with VGA on laptops until people realized that they didn't have to use a separate cable to play audio.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)