Hp Z400 specific cooling CPU and mosfets

SuperAn

Hi everyone 

I recently got an old hp z400 workstation pc. I’ve upgraded the cpu with an Xeon x5675, expanded the ram to 12 gb triple channel, replaced the psu (I modded a thermaltake 530w so it would work on the non standard atx mobo), replaced the gpu with a gtx1070 and as boot drive two ssds in raid 0 (+ two 3tb hdd for storage) 

ofcourse the machine has it shortcomings such as no pci3.0, no Sata III, no usb 3.0, locked bios,..

Nevertheless,i’m ipressed with the performance of the

machine, considering it’s age.  I game on 1440 or 4K depending on the game so cpu bottlenecking is not really an issue. Since I only game 2 ~ 3 hours a week I also use it for eth mining at 30,5mh/s.  ( power consumption of 220 watt)

The workstation is not so hot, the gpu about 62celcius and de cpu 35 Celsius when mining. And both on 55 Celsius when gaming. 

I would like to replace the the “high perforce” cooler master cpu cooler with a noctua since it is quite noisy, however i’m not sure if an lga1366 noctua cooler will fit on the mobo and if it would fit that the mosfets will be cooled enough (the standard cooler master directs the blow to these mosfets). 

anyone an idea ? What would be the best approach ? (I know the fan connector on the mobo uses 5 pins, I’m not after to use a soldering tool)

kind regards 

SuperAn

What cooler are you currently using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

5 hours ago, SuperAn said:

I'm not sure if you mean that you're up for or against soldering. You'll probably have to so that the system doesn't refuse to startup from not detecting the 'performance fan'. 

You could just replace the fan on the cooler with a NF-A9: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/JhM323/noctua-case-fan-nfa9pwm

It'll maintain the original cooling for the motherboard and should be much quieter. 

If you don't need the original fan for anything, you can salvage the connector and wire to mod the noctua fan by bridging the 1st pin and 5th pin.

You need to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@WoodenMarker
Thanks for the advice, to clarify, i'm willing to solder.

So replacing the HP cooler with a full noctua cooler is not the smartest idea ?

6 hours ago, SuperAn said:

@WoodenMarker
Thanks for the advice, to clarify, i'm willing to solder.

So replacing the HP cooler with a full noctua cooler is not the smartest idea ?

Replacing the cooler isn't a bad idea but it's cheaper to just replace the fan and there's less risk of not properly cooling the motherboard or any incompatibilities.