Collation of Windows 10 Jan 2018 (KB4056892) Issues

The following is a collation of issues I've found from other forum posts, articles and personal experience that are resulting from installing the latest Windows 10 update. The update is the January 2018 (KB4056892) fix for Spectre/Meltdown.

Feel free to add any posts with additional issues you've had and been able to link to the Windows Update.

Collation of issues found with Windows 10 Update – January 2018 (KB4056892)

·       Update reported as failed to install, possible error code 0x80070643. If this occurs check for updates and it should correct the issue.

·       Update causes blue screens after restarting, can’t boot back into windows.

Error codes include Watchdog_Timeout_Error, Inaccessible_Boot_Device,

If this occurs, hopefully the Automatic Repair tool will start and fix the startup issue. Sometimes this will successfully uninstall Update KB4056892, allowing you to boot back into Windows. Once back into Windows, immediately Disable the “Windows Update” service (Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services).

If you can’t get back into Windows because the automatic repair fails, you will need Windows Recovery/Install media to boot from. Then you can try returning to a previous Restore Point (if it lets you), or from a Windows Backup (if you made one). Otherwise you may have no choice but to reinstall Windows.

There is some factor in your PC that is causing the update to fail/kill Windows installations. I’ve yet to find out what, but in the mean time disabling the update is the only solution until Microsoft issues a fix.

·       Asus AI Suite not loading. There currently aren’t any updates of the AI Suite and Q-Fan software which is known to work with the KB4056892 update. So, if you need to run AI Suite, or Q-Fan then unfortunately you must uninstall KB4056892. There is the following report, however, that might work for AI Suite

So, to fix ASUS AI Suite 3 issues on Windows 10, first download the latest AI Suite 3, right click the zip file and select “Properties”.

Select the “Unblock” check box and hit OK. Unzip the zip file and run AsusSetup.exe as Administrator. Keep in mind that your need to unblock the ZIP first before you extract the files. Reboot your computer and the AI Suite 3 should work smoothly now.

·       Other programs including browsers crashing or not loading. The first advice right now for these issues is to make sure to download and do a fresh install of the latest versions of these programs. It has known to help Firefox and Chrome to do this. There is also the option to uninstall the update, and this should make the other programs work again.

Sadly, most of the fixes around this update is to uninstall it and prevent it from reinstalling. So much for patching the potentially biggest security flaw in the last 10 years.

I haven't lost my mind, it's backed up on tape somewhere.

Is there any other known issue regarding game program?

All my steam game shortcut are broken and I get terrible gaming performance possibly due to this update

It's important to note that AI Suite 2 is also broken which also is bundled with current ASUS motherboards. ASUS so far will not respond to customers if they are intending to provide a fix.

That's the first I've heard about Steam issues. That might be unrelated. Is your steam library installed on your Windows partition?

just another reason why i bought a good piece of hardware to run my network firewall . no updates no issues xD. doesnt work so much when someone brings a "Infected "pc that has newer updates sadly onto the network . dealt with Microsofts BS shipping half baked updates that nuked my x99 rig once never again

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

10 minutes ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

Is there any other known issue regarding game program?

All my steam game shortcut are broken and I get terrible gaming performance possibly due to this update

We are seeing issues with games since the KB4056892 on Intel i7 laptop by ASUS. never a problem prior to applying this update. Playable but pauses frequently and very frustrating. OS: Windows 10 1709

Edited by TechnicaOne
Correction

4 minutes ago, sikari2015 said:

That's the first I've heard about Steam issues. That might be unrelated. Is your steam library installed on your Windows partition?

We found that steam game shortcuts had broken in previous cumulative update 1709, existing desktop and start menu items stopped launching, we gave up and now only launch from the steam app. Windows 10 start menu has been flaky for a while.

Initial searches suggest it's a driver issue caused by various Windows updates. Recommended solution for poor Steam Game performance is to uninstall the graphics drivers and reinstall using the latest versions.

Can't guarantee that will fix it, but seems to be common since the Fall Creators Windows Update. Might be reoccuring with this update.

2 minutes ago, sikari2015 said:

Initial searches suggest it's a driver issue caused by various Windows updates. Recommended solution for poor Steam Game performance is to uninstall the graphics drivers and reinstall using the latest versions.

Can't guarantee that will fix it, but seems to be common since the Fall Creators Windows Update. Might be reoccuring with this update.

In our case we had a new build, installed steam and games, then a new NVidia card arrived and fresh install of latest drivers saw no improvements. Still investigating....

6 minutes ago, TechnicaOne said:

We found that steam game shortcuts had broken in previous cumulative update 1709, existing desktop and start menu items stopped launching, we gave up and now only launch from the steam app. Windows 10 start menu has been flaky for a while.

ah right all my game shortcut are broken and microsoft install a shit ton of junk apps like candy crash AGAIN

17 minutes ago, Linus Tech Tits said:

ah right all my game shortcut are broken and microsoft install a shit ton of junk apps like candy crash AGAIN

Yep, that's Microsoft, also check start menu settings and turn off "show suggested apps", not sure if its version specific setting, we have it on Windows 10 pro. It does not eliminate all useless apps that Microsoft pushes but it does reduce the number.

EPLAN is affected as well. Only fix I've found is just to uninstall update.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Nice post @sikari2015, i am not sure if this is only my issue as i cannot find any relating to it but is is early but for me apart from the AI Suite2 not loading i have also had an issue where one of my backup storage disks that has been formatted with GPT is showing to have failed S.M.A.R.T. when it was perfectly fine just before the update. The disk still loads and opens but copying is now slower than before. I plan to do a reformat and see if that helps.

I am on the 1709 build and i just uninstalled the KB4056892 update and all is back to normal again, AI Suite 2 loads and the disk passed S.M.A.R.T. i will still do the reformatting when i get my new disk, ordering that now.

EDIT:

Two more updates rolled out for me today, KB4054517 and KB4058043 the last one is linked to a MS Store reliability. So far no issues have happend, AI Suite2 loads and S.M.A.R.T says my disk is fine. I still have no idea what the issue is with KB4056892.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Received KB4056892 today, Windows Update history says that it failed with error 0x80070643. Check for Updates states that there are no updates available and my build now is 16299.192. So the update installed actually? Should i do something or everything is fine?

EDIT: ran /wmic qfe list in cmd and it also shows KB4056892 as installed.

2 hours ago, Mike S. said:

Received KB4056892 today, Windows Update history says that it failed with error 0x80070643. Check for Updates states that there are no updates available and my build now is 16299.192. So the update installed actually? Should i do something or everything is fine?

It depends on your end result, for some, most actually, it seems to be causing more problems but if it isn't for you then i think you maybe fine.

52 minutes ago, Leonard said:

It depends on your end result, for some, most actually, it seems to be causing more problems but if it isn't for you then i think you maybe fine.

Actually i do not see any difference or issues for the whole day today after the update. 

2 hours ago, Mike S. said:

Actually i do not see any difference or issues for the whole day today after the update. 

I started seeing my issue on the morning of second day, so give it some time but as i said, you may be fine, i have heavily modified my Win10 OS so that may contribute too but not sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this will assist anyone but I also had the blue screen/reboot loop issue as soon as I installed KB4056892 with my Intel I7 4790K processor. No matter how many times I tried to install the update on a known working image the PC would immediately fail to boot and could not repair itself.

On a hunch I paused the Windows updates, then on my last working image before KB4056892 I downloaded the AMD fix KB4073290 manually and ran that. I expected it would just fail to install but it didn't and went on to install itself correctly. Then I rebooted the PC as it requested, it updated itself some more on the way out then some more on the reboot then voila booted up into Windows. I rebooted a further couple of times to make sure it wasn't a fluke. After that I re-enabled Windows updates, searched for new updates and it didn't show KB4056892 as still to be installed so whether KB4073290 takes it's place I don't know but what I do know is I have a working PC again. Fingers crossed it lasts.

If anyone else has a similar problem with their Intel processor they may want to give this a go. KB 4073290 is around 600 megs.