question about RAM

I'm currently upgrading to Ryzen 3 1200. my mobo is an msi a320 pro-vh plus. when i turned it on, it didn't post. in fact, it doesn't show anything.  i brought it back to the place where i bought it and they told me that it doesn't detect my RAM. it's a kingston kvr21r15d4/16 DDR4 16gb module at 2133mhz. what can i do so it can detect my ram?

I'd go for a BIOS update. Unfortunately you can't do it without a working system. Maybe the people at the place where you bought it can do it for you.

[never touch a running system]

i still have my current system. i have not taken it apart yet. so what do i do?

26 minutes ago, rhonix said:

i still have my current system. i have not taken it apart yet. so what do i do?

What slot is the memory in? Have you tried putting the ram in the other slot?  Make sure when you're installing the RAM that you are gently but firmly and uniformly pushing the stick into the slot until the two side plastic pieces on the socket get into place.  Usually you'll hear a satisfying click.

oh i forgot to mention, the guy at the store told me my ram stick is a server type ECC RAM. i also looked it up on the list of msi's supported RAM on their site and it didn't show there. does it make a difference?

afaik Ryzen is not compatible with ECC memory. I think you need to get other RAM for that system then, sorry.

but it said on the msi site that the mobo will run ECC modules in non-ECC mode. does that mean the it's not compatible with the CPU directly?

As I understand it, the momeory controller lies inside the CPU package, so the mobo shouldn't have any effect on it. Don't quote me on that though xD