Windows 10

Goot
Go to solution Solved by RadiatingLight,

If you get a retail key, then the key will work no matter what. if you change any components, no worries, retail copies don't care. if you reformat your OS and change hardware at the same time, you'll need to re-enter the key for it to work, and then it will work flawlessly.

OEM keys are tied to one motherboard. if you change CPU/GPU/RAM/Etc. it won't care, but if you change motherboards, then you'll either need to call microsoft and waste some time convincing them to transfer over the OEM key, or buy a new OEM key.

Getting Windows 10 for my build, what do I need to do when upgrading components? I know I cannot get the OEM, once I upgrade parts, do I just need to redownload and activate with my existing key?

If you get a retail key, then the key will work no matter what. if you change any components, no worries, retail copies don't care. if you reformat your OS and change hardware at the same time, you'll need to re-enter the key for it to work, and then it will work flawlessly.

OEM keys are tied to one motherboard. if you change CPU/GPU/RAM/Etc. it won't care, but if you change motherboards, then you'll either need to call microsoft and waste some time convincing them to transfer over the OEM key, or buy a new OEM key.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

I've never had a problem with reactivation after installing on a different motherboard.The worst that happens is usually a call to Microsoft.