Swapping Graphics Cards (solved)

nkesport
Go to solution Solved by Meag,

Nvidia actually have a section on their website about uninstalling graphics drivers when switching cards, however its very likely that the drivers for your Gtx 1080Ti are the same for the one you purchased, however it can't hurt to re-install them anyway.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/IO_13955.html

Hey guys, 

I'm new on here, and also pretty new at building computers. I had a quick question regarding my current setup and how I'm planning on upgrading to a new card. A few weeks ago, I bought the PNY 1080 Ti blower edition as it was the only Ti in stock at the time for a reasonable price. The card is already installed, and like many reviews I've seen online, it runs pretty hot, routinely around 82C. Last night, while looking through Newegg, they had an EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 in stock for a reasonable price, so I purchased it last night with plans to sell the PNY card after it's installed. Of course, the card is now out of stock as of this morning, so hopefully I was able to snag one since I used the rush order option and it was in stock when I purchased it... 

Now typically, at least from my research, you need to delete all drivers associated with the previous card before installing the new drivers. From YouTube and online how-to guides, many people are recommending the "Display Driver Uninstaller" program to do this. My first question is since I'm going from a 1080 Ti to another 1080 Ti, should I still do this? The second question is whats the best point at which to do this. My thoughts were to first take out the old card, and boot the computer using the motherboards internal graphics so I can uninstall the old drivers via that program. After they are uninstalled, install the new card and boot with that as my primary video out. Then head to Nvidia to get the latest drivers and EVGA specific software for that card. Anyone have any thoughts or useful information? 

Other than that this computer should be pretty descent, here are the major specifications:

• Intel Core i7-8700K overclocked to 4.7 GHz
  • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X Formula motherboard
  • 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX
  • 1000W EVGA SuperNOVA G2
  • 1x Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB M.2
  • 1x Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD
  • Corsair H115i

Nvidia actually have a section on their website about uninstalling graphics drivers when switching cards, however its very likely that the drivers for your Gtx 1080Ti are the same for the one you purchased, however it can't hurt to re-install them anyway.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/IO_13955.html

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

You don't need to reinstall NVidia's GFX drivers if you're going from 1080Ti to 1080Ti, as all of NVidia's GTX 10 cards use the same drivers (same with GTX700 and 900), unless you experience any issues. If you run vendor specific drivers for overclocking/lighting (Gigabyte cards), uninstall those if you're not keeping the same brand, because then you're wasting disk space.

I moved from a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070 to an MSI Armor OC 1080. No driver reinstalls, everything worked without a snag.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Thanks for the fast replies gents. The card should get here on Tuesday so I’ll keep you all updated on how the instal goes as well as pics of the build once complete!

Just now, nkesport said:

Thanks for the fast replies gents. The card should get here on Tuesday so I’ll keep you all updated on how the instal goes as well as pics of the build once complete!

I look forward to it! You going to post them back here?

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

2 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

I look forward to it! You going to post them back here?

Yeah! I will say that even with the PNY this system is by far the best I’ve ever had. I’ll post pictures on Tuesday 

Just now, nkesport said:

Yeah! I will say that even with the PNY this system is by far the best I’ve ever had. I’ll post pictures on Tuesday 

Ok, Since the problem was solved you should probably also set the post as solved, you can still update it later :) 

Does the card you have now have a plastic generic shroud or the fancy fe cooler? What are you gonna do with that one?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Does the card you have now have a plastic generic shroud or the fancy fe cooler? What are you gonna do with that one?

Mick,

http://pny.com/geforce-gtx-1080ti-blower-edition?sku=VCGGTX1080T11PB-CG

This is the card that I currently have. My intent is to sell it. Now I don't have the original packaging anymore, but when the new EVGA FTW3 gets in, I'll be putting the PNY card in the anti-static bag and in the box along with all the components that came with it. Obviously since it's used, I'll be selling it at a discount. 

Ok. May have to message you later on that. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

Ok. May have to message you later on that. 

Absolutely, I’ll let you know when I get the install done. 

• 3 weeks later...

All, sorry for the late reply. I promised you all pictures of my setup. I finally got the new graphics card installed, which is fortunate, because I got the FTW3 for MSRP and now it's selling online for well over twice the MSRP! In any case, enjoy!

• Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula
  • CPU - Intel i7 8700K overclocked to 4.5 GHz
  • GPU - EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
  • RAM - 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 MHz 
  • Power Supply - 1000W EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (Fully Modular) 
  • Storage 1 - 512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2
  • Storage 2 - 1TB Samsung 950 Pro SSD
  • AIO - Corsair H115i 280mm 
  • Fans - 5x Corsair LL series 140mm fans
  • Internal LED Lighting Strip

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.JPG

12 hours ago, nkesport said:

All, sorry for the late reply. I promised you all pictures of my setup. I finally got the new graphics card installed, which is fortunate, because I got the FTW3 for MSRP and now it's selling online for well over twice the MSRP! In any case, enjoy!

• Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus X Formula
  • CPU - Intel i7 8700K overclocked to 4.5 GHz
  • GPU - EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti FTW3
  • RAM - 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 MHz 
  • Power Supply - 1000W EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (Fully Modular) 
  • Storage 1 - 512GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2
  • Storage 2 - 1TB Samsung 950 Pro SSD
  • AIO - Corsair H115i 280mm 
  • Fans - 5x Corsair LL series 140mm fans
  • Internal LED Lighting Strip

IMG_3513.JPG

IMG_3515.jpg

IMG_3517.jpg

IMG_3518.JPG

Looks great!

Wow awesome looking PC rig! 

I always use DDU just because I'm OCD like that.

On 1/28/2018 at 10:54 AM, BurntBanana said:

Wow awesome looking PC rig! 

I always use DDU just because I'm OCD like that.

Thanks man! At some point I'm going to need to upgrade my VGA power cables to CableMod like the rest of my motherboard power cables. The original GPU had CableMod 6-Pin and 8-Pin connectors, but alas my FTW3 uses 2x 8-Pin power adapters so I had to use the original VGA cables that came with my power supply. Could be worse!

Oh, I also just ordered a 6TB Seagate IronWolf NAS HD to use as a media drive!