Windows update killed my boot drive!

my story starts with the recent Intel security scare. i looked into it a fair bit yesterday and proceeded today to catch up on all of my windows updates. the first batch of 59 went off without a hitch and i was about to go on with my day when i saw that more updates were available. i download the three updates and they install successfully. i go to restart my pc then after it shuts down it gives me this screen. (see attached picture) so now i am stuck in quite the dilemma. i have a 30GB ssd with windows on it but my MB refuses to see it as a boot drive. i have a full system backup on one of my 2 3tb green archive drives, but since i can't boot i can't acess it. i have a windows 7 install cd but i'm not willing to wipe my main boot ssd just 2-3 months after i got it back up and running AGAIN. i have some spare magnetic drives i could load windows onto but once i do that i have no idea what to do.

with the situation now fully explained i have a few questions.

1. what is the fastest and safest way for me to get my boot ssd running again?

2. can i use my system recovery to restore my boot ssd?

3. what is the possibility of having to reload my windows?

4. why on earth did the windows update do this and how can i avoid it in the future?

i eagerly await responses to this post and hope that i get helpful info soon.

20180105_121640[1].jpg

1 minute ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

-snip-

is the drive detected in BIOS and can you post a picture of your boot settings ?

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

@SilkyDistress the MB see's my main 128GB boot ssd but not the 30GB Samsungng alt boot drive.the screenshot you see if when my main boot drive is selected as the primary boot option.

@SilkyDistress the MB see's my main 128GB boot ssd but not the 30GB Samsungng alt boot drive.the screenshot you see if when my main boot drive is selected as the primary boot option.

Maybe secure boot needs reseting ? did you update the bios ? I mean you can always boot up Linux from USB that you can get on other PC, copy important data from SSD and reinstall Windows. :/ This whole Intel fiasco made me wait until june or july for my server.

PC Specs : i7 7700k, 24 GB @ 2666 MHz, ASUS Strix GTX 970, ASUS Z170-K, 960 EVO 250 GB, 850 EVO 250 GB, 2x 2 TB WD Purple RAID 0, Green 1 TB

is the drive detected under the sata devices in the bios? not the boot menu, it won't detect there because the boot partition is obviously corrupted. 

are you using an insider preview version of Windows?

you have another ssd with windows? boot into that, go to partition management and check if the partitions on the 30gb one are corrupted. 

She/Her

3 minutes ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

Try also different SATA port for SSD.

3 minutes ago, SilkyDistress said:

Try also different SATA port for SSD.

did you read the screenshot at all? it is basically saying something got installed that shouldn't have and now it can't boot! i'm fairly certain it will say the same thing no matter what sata port it is going through. plus i don't have any usb boot drive, in addition if i did why on earth would i try to throw myself into Linux (which i know nothing about) to try and fix a windows issue? while i could reload my windows i emphasized in the main post that it is the last thing i want to do!

did you read the screenshot at all? it is basically saying something got installed that shouldn't have and now it can't boot! i'm fairly certain it will say the same thing no matter what sata port it is going through. plus i don't have any usb boot drive, in addition if i did why on earth would i try to throw myself into Linux (which i know nothing about) to try and fix a windows issue? while i could reload my windows i emphasized in the main post that it is the last thing i want to do!

I told you to reset secure boot keys cause of unauthorized firmware, OS and UEFI drivers changes. -_-

6 minutes ago, SilkyDistress said:

I told you to reset secure boot keys cause of unauthorized firmware, OS and UEFI drivers changes. -_-

i don't know what that is or how to do it. if it helps my motherboard is an asus maximus V(5) formula.

4 minutes ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

i don't know what that is or how to do it. if it helps my motherboard is an asus maximus V(5) formula.

Head to Boot--->Secure Boot---->OS Type (check is it Windows UEFI mode or Other OS) If it Windows UEFI try to switch to Other OS.

5 minutes ago, SilkyDistress said:

Head to Boot--->Secure Boot---->OS Type (check is it Windows UEFI mode or Other OS)

okay what then?

Just now, tryhard techy1169 said:

okay what then?

If it Windows UEFI try to switch to Other OS. 

If it Windows UEFI try to switch to Other OS. 

so try each OS and hope it works?

so try each OS and hope it works?

Switch to Other OS in Secure Boot settings and try to boot in Windows.

asus2.jpg

something like this.

okay, what if neither works?

okay, what if neither works?

then you are gonna head to key managment and reset secure boot keys.

5 minutes ago, SilkyDistress said:

then you are gonna head to key managment and reset secure boot keys.

alright, let me go try this and see what happens.

14 minutes ago, SilkyDistress said:

i don't believe the words coming out of my mouth but this worked! thank you so much! you saved my sanity, my pc and my day!