Questions about making custom cables

Chiru

Konnichiwa,

I am going to use paracord to sleeve my wires. I can get paracord with 1.8-2mm in diameter or 3mm. Not sure yet which diameter i am going to choose.

What i am wondering is what would the ideal wire diameter be to sleeve with 1.8-2mm paracord and ideal wire diameter for 3mm?

How can i remove the core of paracord?

How much time is it going to take to create a custom set of atx cable exstention from start to finish (removing the core, crimping, sleeving etc). Cpu, gpu and mobo power cable (male and female).

What are "long arm" female pins?

Cheers and thanks

1 hour ago, Chiru said:

Konnichiwa,

I am going to use paracord to sleeve my wires. I can get paracord with 1.8-2mm in diameter or 3mm. Not sure yet which diameter i am going to choose.

What i am wondering is what would the ideal wire diameter be to sleeve with 1.8-2mm paracord and ideal wire diameter for 3mm?

How can i remove the core of paracord?

How much time is it going to take to create a custom set of atx cable exstention from start to finish (removing the core, crimping, sleeving etc). Cpu, gpu and mobo power cable (male and female).

What are "long arm" female pins?

Cheers and thanks

Wires come in many different sizes. On average it's around 2mm to 2.5mm for 16 AWG and 2mm for 18 AWG. I use 2.5mm 16 AWG for all my PSU cables.

For PSU cables you want to look at Paracord 550 if you want paracord sleeving over PET sleeving. You will also need a Paracord threader, you don't want to snag or have the terminal get stuck inside the paracord.

-----

The internal strings can just be pulled straight out. You can also buy cordless Paracord as well. Cordless only comes in 550.

9qe3Ycwl.jpg

---

Time is going to be based how skilled your are at doing everything. There not an exact answer to this question since each person speed is going to be different.

It is a bit time consuming. The end results is allot better then those pre-made sleeved cables.

-----

Long Arm aka Long wing are terminals that have much larger wing span which will allow you to crimp larger wiring and can go all the way up to 3mm. Branded terminal are usually labeled as 16 AWG and 18 AWG. OEM terminals are usually the ones who labeled them as Long Wing. I would just a reel of Molex Mini Fit Jr. Female 16 AWG or 18 AWG.

-----

Btw, only extensions have male terminals, the basic cables use all female terminals.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon