Adapter from Ethernet to HDMI

ELSabio

Hello there,

I have been looking for an adapter from RJ45 to HDMI connector like this one.

The thing is my PC is far from the TV, and I want to stream video from PC to the TV. The only way I have found is through the Ethernet cable that brings Internet to my PC from a router very close to the TV. 

So I thought it would be great if I could now take an ethernet cable from the router to the TV and change from RJ45 to HDMI.

I have checked this setup and it already works with a cable TV device I have but in order to make it work I have to disconnect the router from Internet and "Isolate" the whole local network and that makes it not very practical. Video signal is ready to be played on the TV (thanks VLC). But I need to know if those adapters are gonna work. So if somebody have dealt with them I would like to read their experience.

Thank you in advance.

we used to use a product like this at my old job for hooking up projectors, but we always used a direct cat5 from the source to the device. 

Those adaptors you linked are not able to be run through a router. They need a separate ethernet cable.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

If you want to watch TV from your cable box onto your PC you will need what is called a IP Video Encoder. This will encode the signal into something that VLC can read.

Now, if you want to get your HD signal to a far location to output via HDMI then you could use something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Mirabox-Extender-Ethernet-Network-HSV373/dp/B00T76THZ2/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1515085118&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=HDMI+RJ45&psc=1

I haven't personally used these, but from what I have read about them they seem to be able to act as a network encoder/decoder. Note, that when working with real-time applications, like encoding and decoding video, latency can become an issue. You will most likely want to setup QoS on your network to maintain the streams.

I think I have not explained myself properly.

I want to stream video from my PC to TV. I have checked if my cable box was able to do that, and it can, but only if I isolate the whole network. 

So I want to transmit video from PC to TV via router, using an Ethernet cable from the router to the TV. Sadly my TV cannot take video signal from an ethernet cable and process the video like cable box does. So I have to plug something like this to make it work.

I thought "signal" from the computer could be directed to TV, but as Jamiec1130 said, I cannot use those adapters if they don't come from direct Ethernet cable from PC.

Anyone with another solution?

Btw IrwinAllen13, thanks to consider latency.

Thank you very much for your answers.

28 minutes ago, ELSabio said:

I think I have not explained myself properly.

I want to stream video from my PC to TV. I have checked if my cable box was able to do that, and it can, but only if I isolate the whole network. 

So I want to transmit video from PC to TV via router, using an Ethernet cable from the router to the TV. Sadly my TV cannot take video signal from an ethernet cable and process the video like cable box does. So I have to plug something like this to make it work.

I thought "signal" from the computer could be directed to TV, but as Jamiec1130 said, I cannot use those adapters if they don't come from direct Ethernet cable from PC.

Anyone with another solution?

Btw IrwinAllen13, thanks to consider latency.

Thank you very much for your answers.

Again, those adaptors don't connect to an ethernet port on your computer. They take an HDMI output (from your GPU) and convert it to a proprietary ethernet standard and convert it back to HDMI on the other end, giving you the flexibility to run HDMI for long distances. Think of it as making a really long HDMI cable.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Again, those adaptors don't connect to an ethernet port on your computer. They take an HDMI output (from your GPU) and convert it to a proprietary ethernet standard and convert it back to HDMI on the other end, giving you the flexibility to run HDMI for long distances. Think of it as making a really long HDMI cable.

But is there any adapter to convert just the signal from the Ethernet cable to HDMI?

I only need one adapter, not looking for a really long HDMI cable. That would be not practical, I already have the Ethernet cable installed through the walls, and diverging it in two for internet and for a GPU output would be more difficult than just one adapter connected to the TV.

Thank you for the response.

1 hour ago, ELSabio said:

But is there any adapter to convert just the signal from the Ethernet cable to HDMI?

I only need one adapter, not looking for a really long HDMI cable. That would be not practical, I already have the Ethernet cable installed through the walls, and diverging it in two for internet and for a GPU output would be more difficult than just one adapter connected to the TV.

Thank you for the response.

It sounds like you need to buy a streaming device - Roku, Apple TV, ChromeCast, Android TV, Tegra Shield TV, Windows/Linux HTPC, etc. These devices can be connected over WIFI or ethernet (depends on the model, not all have ethernet). You can then stream video/tv/movies over to the device using something like Plex, or local playback using something like Kodi.

Otherwise, as others have explained, to use HDMI/Ethernet Adapters, you connect them as follows:

PC -> GPU -> HDMI Port -> HDMI to Ethernet Adapter -> Ethernet Cable (DIRECT RUN) -> HDMI to Ethernet Adapter -> HDMI Port on TV

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you want to stream from your PC to your TV then this is pretty simple to do as there are several solutions to make it possible.

It sounds like that you pretty much want a way to decode a IP Video signal. The simplest solution (in terms of cost), but requires some advanced setup would be to use a single board PC and install VLC. Once installed then setup a RTP Video Client to decode from the network. The best practice for this is to use Multicast, but this again requires a separated network, or managed network. Note, that using a Single Board PC are GREAT ways to learn and get GREAT CHEAP SOLUTIONS

The next solution you could do would be to use something like a Xbox one to simply stream videos from your PC.

Edit:  Or as Dalekphalm stated a Apple TV, ChromeCast, Android TV, etc...

2 hours ago, IrwinAllen13 said:

If you want to stream from your PC to your TV then this is pretty simple to do as there are several solutions to make it possible.

It sounds like that you pretty much want a way to decode a IP Video signal. The simplest solution (in terms of cost), but requires some advanced setup would be to use a single board PC and install VLC. Once installed then setup a RTP Video Client to decode from the network. The best practice for this is to use Multicast, but this again requires a separated network, or managed network. Note, that using a Single Board PC are GREAT ways to learn and get GREAT CHEAP SOLUTIONS

The next solution you could do would be to use something like a Xbox one to simply stream videos from your PC.

Edit:  Or as Dalekphalm stated a Apple TV, ChromeCast, Android TV, etc...

I like this. I'm already interested in SB computers and this could be a cool way to learn how to deal with them (0 experience with them btw). 

In short terms. Using a Rasperry Pi, for example, connected to the router and then installing VLC making it decode videos from the PC would be the same as having a "wired chromecast", a very limited one hehe. 

I actually posted this because I could not believe there was not any " wired chromecast" out there. Seems like a cool project with SB awaits me.

Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, ELSabio said:

I like this. I'm already interested in SB computers and this could be a cool way to learn how to deal with them (0 experience with them btw). 

In short terms. Using a Rasperry Pi, for example, connected to the router and then installing VLC making it decode videos from the PC would be the same as having a "wired chromecast", a very limited one hehe. 

I actually posted this because I could not believe there was not any " wired chromecast" out there. Seems like a cool project with SB awaits me.

Thank you very much.

"Wired chromecast"? I mean, there are a ton of devices that serve the same function that have built-in ethernet NIC's.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

7 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

"Wired chromecast"? I mean, there are a ton of devices that serve the same function that have built-in ethernet NIC's.

Either way, good luck and let us know how it goes.

By "wired chromecast" I mean something like a Chromecast but instead of taking wireless signal from router, it takes just an ethernet cable and processes the image like a chromecast and shoots it to the TV through HDMI. How come we have wireless chromecast but not a device with an ethernet cable from the router to it? It would use wider bandwith and will work with lower latency.

dalekphalm, I could not find any device that does that. Of course finding that with an already built in NIC would be perfect. If you have an example already I would love to read it.

The only thing I found that is close to that idea is an adapter google used to sell. But the idea of having a device with NIC built-in sounds better to me haha.

Thank you very much.

4 hours ago, ELSabio said:

By "wired chromecast" I mean something like a Chromecast but instead of taking wireless signal from router, it takes just an ethernet cable and processes the image like a chromecast and shoots it to the TV through HDMI. How come we have wireless chromecast but not a device with an ethernet cable from the router to it?

A "wired chromecast" is called an Apple TV. You can use macOS natively with Airplay (same with iOS), and then for Windows you will need 3rd party software. The Apple TV has a Ethernet port on the back of it.

5 hours ago, ELSabio said:

By "wired chromecast" I mean something like a Chromecast but instead of taking wireless signal from router, it takes just an ethernet cable and processes the image like a chromecast and shoots it to the TV through HDMI. How come we have wireless chromecast but not a device with an ethernet cable from the router to it? It would use wider bandwith and will work with lower latency.

dalekphalm, I could not find any device that does that. Of course finding that with an already built in NIC would be perfect. If you have an example already I would love to read it.

The only thing I found that is close to that idea is an adapter google used to sell. But the idea of having a device with NIC built-in sounds better to me haha.

Thank you very much.

Yeah, that exists. There's lots of devices that do this.

For Apple devices, an AppleTV (or anything that supports AirPlay screen mirroring). For Windows devices, look for anything that supports MiraCast.

Intel also came out with WiDi - Wireless HDMI Display, for dedicated screen mirroring.

Aside from that, screen mirroring is one of the minor features of a Chromecast, not it's dedicated function. And it doesn't even work that well compared to other screen mirroring devices.