Need Upgrade Suggestions

Sushibagel

Hi All,

In here I've linked my current build I'm using. I use if for primarily for gaming (Path of Exile and Rocket League mostly). I've got about $500 USD to spend toward and upgrade on my rig and wanted to get some input on what to do. 

Overall the rig does pretty well on both games although I do get occasional stutters in POE particularly in when there are a lot of particle effects flying around. Because of this I have been leaning toward a GPU upgrade (1070 or 1070ti?). 

The other consideration I've made was replacing my monitor with a 144hz G-Sync enabled one. I only have room for the one monitor currently so I'd be selling the original

I am open to other upgrade suggestions so please feel free to make then if you see a more impactful upgrade I can make with my budget. So long as whatever I get falls under my $500 budget any resell value I get out of my current hardware will allow for another nice incremental upgrade maybe an additional SSD or MORE RGB! 

Thanks in advance. 

My Current Rig

What are you rocking right now? A 1070 looks like overkill to me for the games you are playing. 

1 minute ago, Ansger said:

What are you rocking right now? A 1070 looks like overkill to me for the games you are playing. 

1060 6gb

3 minutes ago, Sushibagel said:

1060 6gb

I do not own that card in particular but I think it should be able to run those games very well. Are you running those games on a high resolution display? What are the other specs? (maybe something is bottlencking things.

If you can spend the money, getting a new CPU might help, although stuttering seems to be a software/network issue. Also, If you haven't, try overclocking.

Edited by JustAnEpicLime
added suggestion

2 minutes ago, Ansger said:

I do not own that card in particular but I think it should be able to run those games very well. Are you running those games on a high resolution display? What are the other specs? (maybe something is bottlencking things.

I don't think I'm bottlenecking Rocket League runs great. The FPS drops and stutters are sadly pretty normal for POE from my understanding and it happens even on very high end rigs when the particles really start to fly. 

I'm really just looking to make an upgrade since I've got some money to do so. 

My display is a 24" 144hz 

I've got an i5 6600k with a Hyper 212 Cooler

and 16 gb of 2133 ddr4 

4 minutes ago, Sushibagel said:

I don't think I'm bottlenecking Rocket League runs great. The FPS drops and stutters are sadly pretty normal for POE from my understanding and it happens even on very high end rigs when the particles really start to fly. 

I'm really just looking to make an upgrade since I've got some money to do so. 

My display is a 24" 144hz 

I've got an i5 6600k with a Hyper 212 Cooler

and 16 gb of 2133 ddr4 

What do you plan to do with the PC in the future? (games-wise, taxing tasks, etc.)

if you are looking for an upgrade: go for a 1080 if the budget allows, if not, go for the 1070. The 1070 ti hangs awkwardly between the two and doesn't have the best price/performance (unless prices in your region are different) 

2 minutes ago, JustAnEpicLime said:

What do you plan to do with the PC in the future? (games-wise, taxing tasks, etc.)

It's a pure gaming pc for me I have a laptop I use for work. I don't really have an future games I'm eyeing at the moment but I'm sure more will come up that I'll want to play so making incremental improvements on my rig seems like something that would be smart. 

In that case, most games use more gpu power, so I would go with, like @Ansger said, a 1070/1080, depending on how much you're willing to spend. That G-sync monitor is also a good investment.

Good luck! :D

Personally, I wouldn't opt for a high refresh monitor until I had more of a budget, considering I would say get a 144HZ refresh rate monitor that has G-SYNC. It seems to me like your best bet in spending your cash will be either 

A.) Get a new graphics card now

B.) Save your money and wait to get a new graphics whenever new ones launch.

Option B will obviously be a better value, ultimately it is your decision if you feel like option A is worth your money. You should be able to draw a conclusion of how much performance increase you will see from research some of the tech-tubers, and other individuals who do similar research.