CS:GO FPS drops in certain games

Running on a Ryzen 5 1600 with 8GB DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1060 SSC.

In certain games, my FPS drops from the usual 120+ to 30-40. I can solve this by restarting my computer and rejoining the game, but other than that, I don't know what is causing the problem. My tower (Fractal Design Meshify C) has good airflow with its fans and temps are usually fine. It can't be wrong with my PSU (EVGA B3 550W) because I can usually start a new game with the usual smoothness, but at times I start it to find out it becomes almost unplayable (for me at least). What could be causing these issues?

background processes like updates backups malware. Or something wrong with hardware what is GPU/CPU usage during this drops?  Offtopic nice case got the same 2 days ago.

24 minutes ago, alphagamingx said:

Running on a Ryzen 5 1600 with 8GB DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1060 SSC.

In certain games, my FPS drops from the usual 120+ to 30-40. I can solve this by restarting my computer and rejoining the game, but other than that, I don't know what is causing the problem. My tower (Fractal Design Meshify C) has good airflow with its fans and temps are usually fine. It can't be wrong with my PSU (EVGA B3 550W) because I can usually start a new game with the usual smoothness, but at times I start it to find out it becomes almost unplayable (for me at least). What could be causing these issues?

quit tasks you don't need running in task manager and also mess with your startup programs so you can stop those undesired processes to begin with

used to have an issue like this in archage.  Maps were so big that my system would eventually have as much information saved as my card was capable to store that when new areas were trying to load in textures were sub par and I had a definate drop in frame rates.  So possible lack of refresh on vram cache?

4 hours ago, openthatchest said:

quit tasks you don't need running in task manager and also mess with your startup programs so you can stop those undesired processes to begin with

Edited by alphagamingx

4 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

background processes like updates backups malware. Or something wrong with hardware what is GPU/CPU usage during this drops?  Offtopic nice case got the same 2 days ago.

I got it to happen again, the usage is pretty much the same (pretty high load), but something different was that the rig later restarted to the "Install boot drive" screen. Might be something wrong with the SSD/DRAM. And thanks, hope you like the case as much as I do.

10 hours ago, alphagamingx said:

I got it to happen again, the usage is pretty much the same (pretty high load),

Only CPU load high and GPU load dropping ? or both very high and at least GPU not dropped ? Because if your CPU is busy doing other things its normal that GPU load goes down and as a result FPS also. 

3 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Only CPU load high and GPU load dropping ? or both very high and at least GPU not dropped ? Because if your CPU is busy doing other things its normal that GPU load goes down and as a result FPS also. 

In game I usually have Discord and Chrome open (and maybe some Adobe background tasks), but that goes for every match and even in other games that are harder to run like PUBG, though CS is the only game I have that weird one-off problem with. Even after verifying the game files in Steam and confirming the usage rates are pretty much the same, there isn't really anything that raises a red flag

12 minutes ago, alphagamingx said:

In game I usually have Discord and Chrome open (

You know chrome ... does some awesome things like copy all open websites to your drive every now and then in case of power failure... but i don`t know you have an 6 core CPU it should handle such things in the background. But when you go a quick google search you find out that many people with ryzen processors have low FPS problems in CS GO even with Nvidia 1080 ´s. 

On 12/31/2017 at 9:34 AM, Klemmbrett said:

You know chrome ... does some awesome things like copy all open websites to your drive every now and then in case of power failure... but i don`t know you have an 6 core CPU it should handle such things in the background. But when you go a quick google search you find out that many people with ryzen processors have low FPS problems in CS GO even with Nvidia 1080 ´s. 

I guess I may have that solved, now it seems my PSU or SOMETHING is acting up and the rig shuts down at random times. I reckon either the power supply is failing or I have some type of malware installed that I don't know about (may be attached to mods I downloaded for other games). Still cannot confirm, the fans are all spinning correctly and I have tried different power cables with no solution so could be either or.

Do you have a backup power supply or a friend where you could test if its PSU. Could be that your PSU cant provide enough or stable power. 

On 30/12/2017 at 11:44 PM, alphagamingx said:

I got it to happen again, the usage is pretty much the same (pretty high load), but something different was that the rig later restarted to the "Install boot drive" screen. Might be something wrong with the SSD/DRAM. And thanks, hope you like the case as much as I do.

I had a similar problem with one of my SSDs. Try it with a different SATA cable. I would also recommend letting the PC run for a while with the drive's power connected but the SATA disconnected, letting the drive go through a few power cycles without doing any read/writes sometimes helps.

First, as others mentioned - sort out background tasks :)

Second - try to use command cl_forcepreload 1 in CS: GO console (and preferably in config.cfg)

it will make whole map (all the textures etc.) load while connecting to the server, so it won't load while playing 

10 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Do you have a backup power supply or a friend where you could test if its PSU. Could be that your PSU cant provide enough or stable power. 

I do not have one extra, but I bet it was the culprit for making some loud noises a while ago (tested out system fans and CPU cooler, was neither of those).

9 hours ago, Apepa said:

I had a similar problem with one of my SSDs. Try it with a different SATA cable. I would also recommend letting the PC run for a while with the drive's power connected but the SATA disconnected, letting the drive go through a few power cycles without doing any read/writes sometimes helps.

My OS is running on an m.2 SSD, I guess I could try removing it and letting the PC run on the HDD and see if anything happens

9 hours ago, MIKEsome said:

First, as others mentioned - sort out background tasks :)

Second - try to use command cl_forcepreload 1 in CS: GO console (and preferably in config.cfg)

it will make whole map (all the textures etc.) load while connecting to the server, so it won't load while playing 

I had that command in my launch options not long before all this started, I'll put it in my config and see if that helps

42 minutes ago, alphagamingx said:

My OS is running on an m.2 SSD, I guess I could try removing it and letting the PC run on the HDD and see if anything happens

Check it's fitted properly and the connections are clean.