Gtx 1060 stuck in 2d/idle mode

sfhamkid

Hello,

I have a hp prebuilt desktop. It came with dedicated graphics, so I decided to get a GPU for it. I bought the gtx 1060 3gb by gigabyte. For some reason ever since I bought it, the gpu is stuck at 139 mhz. At first I thought it kept switching to the dedicated graphics, but my dedicated graphics did way better than 7 fps. When I go to gpu-z it shows that its in 139 mhz (even when Im playing games). When I open gigabyte extreme gaming engine, and try to overclock it, it says its stuck in 2d/idle mode. For some reason it just wont go to 3d mode. I used ddu to delete old drivers, and this has nothing to do with the dedicated graphics. The gpu is stuck in 2d mode. I tried everything, reinstalling drivers (older ones as well), updated bios, factory reset the pc, called nvidia, gigabyte, and hp ( none were able to help). After I got no help I sent it back for a new one. But the new one is giving the same problem. Im new to all this pc gaming stuff so any help will be appreciated. 

Pc specs: 

I7 6700k 3.4 ghz

450 watt power supply

idk what my motherboard is, it came with the prebuilt desktop

gtx 1060

Please help its been 3 weeks and I'm getting really frustrated 

Have you tried disabling the internal graphics completely in BIOS?  Your monitor *is* plugged right into your graphics card, not your motherboard, correct?

Also, try firing up MSI Afterburner, and see if you can push the clocks up manually.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

6 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Have you tried disabling the internal graphics completely in BIOS?  Your monitor *is* plugged right into your graphics card, not your motherboard, correct?

Also, try firing up MSI Afterburner, and see if you can push the clocks up manually.

yes I have disabled the dedicated graphics from bios and yes the hdmi cable is plugged into the gpu. I dont have msi afterburner since my motherboard is from hp. But when I open extreme gaming engine and try to increase the clocks, it doesnt move. Its still stuck in 139 mhz

5 minutes ago, sfhamkid said:

yes I have disabled the dedicated graphics from bios and yes the hdmi cable is plugged into the gpu. I dont have msi afterburner since my motherboard is from hp. But when I open extreme gaming engine and try to increase the clocks, it doesnt move. Its still stuck in 139 mhz

you can get msi afterburner even if your motherboard isn't msi.... doesn't matter that it's hp.

21 minutes ago, jwh_ said:

you can get msi afterburner even if your motherboard isn't msi.... doesn't matter that it's hp.

oh I didnt know that. I downloaded it but its the same as extreme gaming engine, it wont go above 139

• 1 month later...

did you manage to fix your problem? Same shit is happening to me but with the memory clock being stuck at 405mhz