Will a 5820K bottleneck a 1080Ti? A "2080"?

LetMePickThat

Hi! :)

I'm currently using a GTX 1070 Gaming X and a 5820K in my gaming rig. 

I'm playing in 2560*1440 @144hz so my 1070 is seriously limiting me in some games. I'm planning to upgrade my GPU, but two questions came to my mind:

- Will a 5820K bottleneck a 1080Ti or an hypothetic 2080? I'm running at 4.5Ghz but the rather low IPC (when compared to recent Intel CPUs such as the 8700K or the 7700k) is a bit worriesome to me. Shoud-I upgrade my CPU? I'm using a 6950X on my professional rig so if I can avoid giving even more money to Intel and keep my 5820K a few more years, that'd be great.. ^^"

- Do someone have an educated guess about the release date of Volta-based GTX (yeah, I know I must be the 145.521.235th to ask that today...)? Because if you guys think it won't be released until Q4 2018, then I will go for the 1080Ti. If the release date is earlier in the year, then I will stick to my 1070 and wait for the 2080.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, LetMePickThat said:

Hi! :)

I'm currently using a GTX 1070 Gaming X and a 5820K in my gaming rig. 

I'm playing in 2560*1440 @144hz so my 1070 is seriously limiting me in some games. I'm planning to upgrade my GPU, but two questions came to my mind:

- Will a 5820K bottleneck a 1080Ti or an hypothetic 2080? I'm running at 4.5Ghz but the rather low IPC (when compared to recent Intel CPUs such as the 8700K or the 7700k) is a bit worriesome to me. Shoud-I upgrade my CPU? I'm using a 6950X on my professional rig so if I can avoid giving even more money to Intel and keep my 5820K a few more years, that'd be great.. ^^"

- Do someone have an educated guess about the release date of Volta-based GTX (yeah, I know I must be the 145.521.235th to ask that today...)? Because if you guys think it won't be released until Q4 2018, then I will go for the 1080Ti. If the release date is earlier in the year, then I will stick to my 1070 and wait for the 2080.

Thanks!

Not really a bottleneck for a 1080ti. That is the equivalent of a Ryzen 1600x which to my knowledge is not a bottleneck to the 1080ti. Especially at that resolution. Yes you will see a few drops in FPS compared to a 6700k but not huge. 

8 minutes ago, Wwadsworth said:

Ryzen 1600x

Actually, it's almost exactly equivalent to a 4.5ghz 1600, putting it above any r5/r7 fir gaming purposes.

Though I do agree, a 5820k at 4.5ghz will not bottlenck.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

10 minutes ago, Wwadsworth said:

Yes you will see a few drops in FPS compared to a 6700k but not huge. 

Actually its more like this (Imagine a venn diagram)

Less frame drops/Higher average fps

5820k.               8700k.             7700k

13 minutes ago, LetMePickThat said:

Thanks for the replies.

I'm pretty sure I can get it to 4.7 so I guess I'm gonna stick with it.

At 4.7ghz there is no compellibg reason to upfmgrade at high resolutions

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

At 4.7ghz there is no compellibg reason to upfmgrade at high resolutions

I'm only in 1440p though.

And in 144hz, which means that I need framerate consistency, which is directly linked to CPU performance.

8 minutes ago, LetMePickThat said:

I'm only in 1440p though.

And in 144hz, which means that I need framerate consistency, which is directly linked to CPU performance.

At the very least wait for 9700k, the 5820k competes too closely with the 8700k to be a worthwhile upgrade

Yeah of course. 

Loosing the quad-channel and a bunch of PCI lanes to get like 10% more performances is clearly not worth it.