PC can't find Hard Drive.

Tom Cat

So i'm using a z270 Taichi by ASRock and I have an SSD hooked up along with a 3tb wd blue hard drive. But the hard drive won't show up! I have an error counter on the board and it's at Ab right now which means a sata device is installed but something is wrong. What do I do?!

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

The same thing happened to me. A. check Device Manager and see if it shows up. If yes, then do into disk utility and create a new pa4rtition for the said drive, and it should show up. 

1st - Disconnect the 3tb drive and reboot.  See if you pass POST.  If so, you know you have an issue with the drive or cabling.

If that doesn't work, reconnect the 3tb, and disconnect the SSD, repeat the process.

Figure out which drive is throwing the error, then you'll be able to troubleshoot the issue further - whether a bad SATA cable, power connector, motherboard SATA port, or drive.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

you checked these settings? 

* M2_1, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

* M2_2, SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

* If M2_3 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_3 will be disabled

8 hours ago, vaiwalker said:

you checked these settings? 

* M2_1, SATA3_0 and SATA3_1 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

* M2_2, SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 share lanes. If either one of them is in use, the others will be disabled.

* If M2_3 is occupied by a SATA-type M.2 device, SATA3_3 will be disabled

Can you send visuals my board has 12 ports 

Former Bronze Contributor 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz / CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7  / Board: ASRock Z270 Taichi / GPU: Nvidia 1060 6gb EVGA SC / GPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken G12 with Thermaltake Water 3.0 120mm RAM: White Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 2666 MHz SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo 250 and 3TB WD blue HDD / PSU: Corasir 550cx / Case: NZXT s340 Elite White 

Im a super Italian. Kapish.

12 hours ago, Douglas The Duck said:

Can you send visuals my board has 12 ports 

think those only apply if you've got a m2. you don't have an m2 right? just a sata hdd and ssd? could be something else. how'd the hdd diagnostics go?