issues with latency on laptops vs desktop (immersion question)

I couldn't find a better place to post this so I though this thread seemed the most adequate for the LTT choices available. Is it just me or do desktops just seem to provide a more immersive experience than laptops, even high end ones? I really don't want to drag this question on but as I have gotten older I feel as though I have developed autism and began to notice more and more things that drive me crazy. Among these is never being happy with anything, but especially laptops vs my desktop. My desktop build is a fx vishers 4350 on a gigabyte gmt-78 and 4 gigabytes of ram, I am currently running an HP elite book with 8 gb ram and an 15-2540M cpu, but I did have an alienware r3 with an i7 and 32 gb of ram and an ssd at one point up until last year the processor died and I have yet to get around to replacing, but I am planning on it. I am sure I can explain what I mean but it would be much easier if you were here to show you and explain it more throughly with in person, but to explain it briefly I would say obviosly my AW R3 with the 17 at around 3.7 hz operating frequency was running the fastest (even though the fx ran close to that if not surpassing it when oc'd), but when I speak about latency I don't mean processing speed I mean mouse to screen immersion speed. And by that I mean the speed between the time you move the move and the time the screen reacts and also the polling rate. And to be fair I have experimented with many different laptops and mouses and desktops and their software but always feel this way, as if when I am behind a pc, regardless of how old or out dated it is, that I am driving a ferrari or a porsche, but when I use a laptop I feel like I am more at it whims, as if it is throttling down to control its weigh as it moves around turns all on its own, it just feels different. Like I can actively tell when I am using a pc and I can actively tell when I am on a desktop, it just feels so much more reliable, is there any truth to this? Does anyone else know why this is?

1 hour ago, no1 said:

I couldn't find a better place to post this so I though this thread seemed the most adequate for the LTT choices available. Is it just me or do desktops just seem to provide a more immersive experience than laptops, even high end ones? I really don't want to drag this question on but as I have gotten older I feel as though I have developed autism and began to notice more and more things that drive me crazy. Among these is never being happy with anything, but especially laptops vs my desktop. My desktop build is a fx vishers 4350 on a gigabyte gmt-78 and 4 gigabytes of ram, I am currently running an HP elite book with 8 gb ram and an 15-2540M cpu, but I did have an alienware r3 with an i7 and 32 gb of ram and an ssd at one point up until last year the processor died and I have yet to get around to replacing, but I am planning on it. I am sure I can explain what I mean but it would be much easier if you were here to show you and explain it more throughly with in person, but to explain it briefly I would say obviosly my AW R3 with the 17 at around 3.7 hz operating frequency was running the fastest (even though the fx ran close to that if not surpassing it when oc'd), but when I speak about latency I don't mean processing speed I mean mouse to screen immersion speed. And by that I mean the speed between the time you move the move and the time the screen reacts and also the polling rate. And to be fair I have experimented with many different laptops and mouses and desktops and their software but always feel this way, as if when I am behind a pc, regardless of how old or out dated it is, that I am driving a ferrari or a porsche, but when I use a laptop I feel like I am more at it whims, as if it is throttling down to control its weigh as it moves around turns all on its own, it just feels different. Like I can actively tell when I am using a pc and I can actively tell when I am on a desktop, it just feels so much more reliable, is there any truth to this? Does anyone else know why this is?

Probably because the price ratio between desktops is like 1/3 ( i mean to say that price  of laptop with same specs as budget gaming setup is 3 x more expensive ). The upgrading is also the point which is making a desktop PC a winner. On laptop in you can only change storage and RAM, maybe in certain cases you can add eGPU and change the CPU, and that is all. But in case with PCs there is wide variety of upgrades that you can manually do without a technician (and it is easier to do it on PC than on laptop).The category in which laptop takes a win is portability. I personally use budget lenovo laptop G50-45 (amd e1 - 1.86 Ghz, amd radeon R2 1gb) - nothing special. I use it for college. I don't have PC. This laptop basically limits my gaming "obsession" so i don't get distracted to often. Tbh i was never thinking about the latency between the mouse/screen, i don't think it has to do anything with  computer , only with uncalibrated drivers (GPU,IO ports). That is just my guess.

laptops used to be inferior in almost any category.

the hardware was not as powerful, even on expensive gaming laptops.

while we had 3+ GHz quad cores on desktops for a while already, dual core CPUs and slow quad cores were pretty much the norm on laptops 

also, if the laptop had discrete graphics at all, it was usually a cut down "mobile" version of their desktop counterparts.

all this was kind of necessary because most laptops also have shitty cooling.

most laptops displays also were dragging way behind in terms of color reproduction, viewing angles, refresh rate and response time compared to what was state of the art for desktop monitors at any given time. 

most of this has changed recently. 

since the GTX 1000 series, we can have the same discrete graphics hardware in laptops and desktops. 

quad core CPUs in laptops seem to finally become mainstream as well as high refresh rate, low latency IPS displays

many laptops still have shitty cooling tho.

3 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

laptops used to be inferior in almost any category.

the hardware was not as powerful, even on expensive gaming laptops.

while we had 3+ GHz quad cores on desktops for a while already, dual core CPUs and slow quad cores were pretty much the norm on laptops 

also, if the laptop had discrete graphics at all, it was usually a cut down "mobile" version of their desktop counterparts.

all this was kind of necessary because most laptops also have shitty cooling.

most laptops displays also were dragging way behind in terms of color reproduction, viewing angles, refresh rate and response time compared to what was state of the art for desktop monitors at any given time. 

most of this has changed recently. 

since the GTX 1000 series, we can have the same discrete graphics hardware in laptops and desktops. 

quad core CPUs in laptops seem to finally become mainstream as well as high refresh rate, low latency IPS displays

many laptops still have shitty cooling tho.

I just don't get why when I am using my shitty PC, fairly shitty I think at this stage atleast I think, fx 4350, it feels so good. Even though I know I have to carry around a bunch of shit and whatever. Maybe it is just the psychological concept of control over the motherboard and components and all else that I am experiencing. I really cannot tell. But I really do feel more immersed and a sense that I am using a more stable and capable machine over laptops when I am on my or a desktop for that matter. I am building it into a smaller micro atx case and hoping I can get it to play with this radeon rx550 2gb graphics card. Hopeing it will only need a bios flash or two. 

13 hours ago, no1 said:

I just don't get why when I am using my shitty PC, fairly shitty I think at this stage atleast I think, fx 4350, it feels so good. Even though I know I have to carry around a bunch of shit and whatever. Maybe it is just the psychological concept of control over the motherboard and components and all else that I am experiencing. I really cannot tell. But I really do feel more immersed and a sense that I am using a more stable and capable machine over laptops when I am on my or a desktop for that matter. I am building it into a smaller micro atx case and hoping I can get it to play with this radeon rx550 2gb graphics card. Hopeing it will only need a bios flash or two. 

Maybe you prefer a desktop over a laptop?

I prefer a laptop over a desktop. Preferences.

Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U Wii-U *insert firetruck picture* :)