Dual booting Ubuntu and XP.

Is it possible for me to shrink the current XP parition on my laptop and install Linux / Ubuntu alongisde XP on the other partition, and if so can somebody tell me how. I'm currently playing around with Ubuntu inside my VM to see how it's like. 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

During installation Ubuntu asks if you want to install ubuntu as the main OS or install it alongside any other OS .

just select the dual booting option and go from there!

You might look up something on youtube just for reference!

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

You could also use a tool like Gparted for resize the partition (But I guess you will have to use Gparted live CD).

I also had success with Partition Magic and Windows XP in the past.

Signatures are stupid.

You could also use a tool like Gparted for resize the partition (But I guess you will have to use Gparted live CD).

I also had success with Parted Magic and Windows XP in the past.

I'll assume it isn't possible to shrink the partition with the Windows Install CD's I have? 

During installation Ubuntu asks if you want to install ubuntu as the main OS or install it alongside any other OS .

just select the dual booting option and go from there!

You might look up something on youtube just for reference!

Running dual boot will run Linux within the same partition as XP or not? 

Cpu: i5-2500k @4.8Ghz, MB: Asus Maximus V Formula, CPU cooler: Be quiet! Dark rock pro 2, GPU: Evga Gtx660 FTW@1.24ghz. Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866Mhz, PSU: Be quiet! 730w Semi modular, SSD: Corsair force 3 240Gb, HDD: WD Green 1TB, Case: Nzxt H2 with 4 Corsair SP120's, Win7

You can but when dual booting they will share the same boot loader when dual booting and if you delete ubuntu it will take the boot loader with it and then you cannot boot into xp.

#$CREWED

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

You can but when dual booting they will share the same boot loader when dual booting and if you delete ubuntu it will take the boot loader with it and then you cannot boot into xp.

#$CREWED

Which would be more convenient then without problems?