First PC Build

iParaShane

Hey Everybody,

So im planning my first PC Build and I have no idea on what parts to get such as motherboard, cpu, ram etc.

1. Budget & Location

I have no exact budget. I will pay what ever i need to to get the job done. If i had a budget though I would same in around €1500. My location is Republic of Ireland and currency is Euro (€)

2. Aim

The Aim of this build is to allow me to Develop, test and play Virtual Reality Game on a HTC Vive as well as General AAA games

3. Monitors

I have no monitors as of yet as I have been using macOS laptops since I can remember. The resolution that I am Going for is 4k UHD and I plan to use 2-3 monitors

4. Peripherals

As I stated above that I have only been using laptops I need to buy all peripherals. I will also be needing a windows OS, preferably windows 10

5. Why are you upgrading?

The reason for upgrading is I have not a computer that will allow me to play VR Games or even most games in general

Honestly I feel like you're gonna struggle with getting that sort of performance for €1500.

I'd get a 6-8 core CPU minimum with around 32GB of RAM. GTX 1080 GPU but all of that as a bare minimum for developing any VR titles.

4K Gaming and Game Development aren't quite possible at your budget. VR is the only thing you can achieve.

As i said in my original post, I don't have a definitive budget! I will gladly pay what ever it takes to get the job done

8 hours ago, Minotaur10 said:

Honestly I feel like you're gonna struggle with getting that sort of performance for €1500.

I'd get a 6-8 core CPU minimum with around 32GB of RAM. GTX 1080 GPU but all of that as a bare minimum for developing any VR titles.

What CPU and Motherboard would you suggest?

Motherboard doesn't matter too much but I'd recommend the x299 chipset. There is the ASUS Prime X299-A that's relatively cheap from a reputable brand. As for CPU I'd recommend either the i7-7800X or the i7-7820X. But these recommendations are on the low end. If you don't feel they're good enough then anything better than these is what you should be going for.

Something like the following should meet the requirements. The list was built using the US version of pcpartpicker. Local availability and pricing will have to be determined. Usually prices are roughly equivalent, i.e. US$1 = €1.

Keyboard and mouse are very personal decisions. Try out various models before buying.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.99 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Pro Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($149.39 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($179.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($270.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB SC Black Edition Video Card  ($749.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.59 @ SuperBiiz) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full 32/64-bit  ($109.99 @ B&H) 
Monitor: Asus - MX27UC 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor  ($564.38 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2594.18
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-24 16:23 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor  (€219.94 @ Mindfactory) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler  (€89.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X370-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€144.99 @ ARLT) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (€221.84 @ Mindfactory) 
Storage: Corsair - Force MP500 480GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (€246.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  (€449.90 @ Caseking) 
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (€86.42 @ Mindfactory) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  (€83.90 @ Caseking) 
Total: €1543.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-25 04:57 CET+0100

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol