No display from desktop

TheGhzGuy

Hello,

I had put a desktop away for ~3 months and came back in order to try and put windows on it (Linux did not play nice with the hardware) However, I ran into the issue of it not displaying anything on the monitor. I took out the CMOS battery fro ~5 minutes, and that didn't work. I reseated the RAM and GPU as well. What else should I try? (Or should I just get rid of the really old stuff and start all over?)

Specs:

Core2Duo E8500

4GB Kingston DDR2

Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C (Motherboard)

Saphire HD 7870 Ghz Editon

Toshiba 250GB 2.5 inch HDD

Seasonic SPP-450RT PSU

CoolerMaster N200

Thank you!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Basic troubleshooting:

Step 1: Check PSU Voltages

Step 2: Remove and reseat every component, test for POST.

Step 3: Remove all components except CPU, Ram, Video Card and test POST again.

If it fails to POST after step 3, it's time for a new part or three.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

32 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Basic troubleshooting:

Step 1: Check PSU Voltages

Step 2: Remove and reseat every component, test for POST.

Step 3: Remove all components except CPU, Ram, Video Card and test POST again.

If it fails to POST after step 3, it's time for a new part or three.

PSU seems fine, reseated everything, still nothing. I tried it without the HDD too. Guess something died in the meantime! Oh well.

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock

Are you able to get to bios screen? Or you get zero display even with reboot? If thats the case, remove the gpu from the pci slot and see if you can boot on integrated graphics card. if you can get into windows thats a good thing.

Now you will have to restart your pc. and go into bios screen and configure your motherboard to prioritize booting on intergrated graphics only. Some machines call it PEG or can look like lil bit like this IGPU-PCI-and so on. You want to make sure IGPU (intergrated graphics is selected.

Now save your bios settings, and shut down your pc. Now reinsert your graphics card.

Boot into windows via Intergrated graphics. do not plug anything back off your amd card.

Now go to start and search device manager and see if your gpu is there or not. most likely it will be there.

if its there take the intergrated graphics card video cable then attach it to gpu see if it gives you a display.

if it does then go restart your computer boot into bios and prioritize booting to pci.

Then save bios.

and restart pc and see if you get display into windows. I had issue in windows 10 not long ago with amd card that would freeze at bios. I thought giving this shot may help you. You may have to reflash your gpu bios on gpu to get it back and running.

47 minutes ago, aru2.0 said:

Are you able to get to bios screen? Or you get zero display even with reboot? If thats the case, remove the gpu from the pci slot and see if you can boot on integrated graphics card. if you can get into windows thats a good thing.

Now you will have to restart your pc. and go into bios screen and configure your motherboard to prioritize booting on intergrated graphics only. Some machines call it PEG or can look like lil bit like this IGPU-PCI-and so on. You want to make sure IGPU (intergrated graphics is selected.

Now save your bios settings, and shut down your pc. Now reinsert your graphics card.

Boot into windows via Intergrated graphics. do not plug anything back off your amd card.

Now go to start and search device manager and see if your gpu is there or not. most likely it will be there.

if its there take the intergrated graphics card video cable then attach it to gpu see if it gives you a display.

if it does then go restart your computer boot into bios and prioritize booting to pci.

Then save bios.

and restart pc and see if you get display into windows. I had issue in windows 10 not long ago with amd card that would freeze at bios. I thought giving this shot may help you. You may have to reflash your gpu bios on gpu to get it back and running.

Thank you for the really detailed mini-guide there. I really appreciate it. However, I did try to boot with the Integrated Graphics, and still nothing showed up on the display. It could just be something on the board decided to short in 3 month period (It is from 2009-2010 or so) 

Thanks again!

BOINC Setup:
i5 7200U @ Stock

Core2Duo T6600 @ Stock

i3 2330M @ Stock

i5 3210M @ Stock