Mac Pro 2008 macOS Patched High Sierra USB Issue's

Hello ya'll,

Lets just say I recently got an Early 2008 Mac Pro at a E-Waste collection center for € 100, before I hear "It is broken".

It isn't and works with its current install of Snow Leopard & Random Windows 10 HDD.

Since Apple doesn't officially support this specific device anymore I used dosdude1's patcher.

What I noticed is the Mac Pro refuses to detect the flash drive created on my Early 2015 MacBook Air running High Sierra.

After trying multiple USB Flashdrives I decided to see if the MBA would find the USB & boot into the installer, sure enough it detects it (While holding alt right after POST) and boots into it. Installation is still not verified since I'm not replacing my current install on that machine, only fully updated Mac I have.

Here is the TL;DR

I have tried multiple USB Flashdrives with a patched High Sierra on it, all of them using the GUID Partition Table & HFS+ Journaled.

I'm using this one from DOSDude1

All the ones I created work on another more recent Mac, but fail to even be recognized on my Mac Pro.

Anyone who can help me out?

When it turns out it just isn't possible I'd also be happy running Windows 10 on it, but I ain't giving up on it just yet.

If you'd need all I did since I got my hands on it .. here .. you .. go :

My personal guess is that this is a software problem and not something wrong with the Mac Pro's hardware.
What I did before attempting this install, I traced back all my steps.

Fully clean the machine before attempting this clean install, added an NVIDIA Quadro FX1800 (It works under Snow Leopard). What I didn't add is more RAM, but it seems like it has an extra 4GB's right of the getgo.

What I also tried is running on the default 4x 512MB RAM, 1 HDD (WD Green Made in +-2012) with the AMD GPU that came with the thing. (It displays heavy artifact meaning it is on its last legs.

Anyhow, I'm praying on the LTT community being the way it has always been towards me and hopefully finding my very obvious user error.

- Sfekke

Sidenote :

I also posted this on MacRumors .. but thought it wouldn't hurt to post it here as well.

If I get an answer over there, I'll make sure to let ya'll know what exactly did the trick ;) 

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

1 minute ago, Theguywhobea said:

its broken

ROFL.gif.823ad7ad563e88dcaa3fc29f370beb13.gif

That is exactly what I thought!

You sir just cured the worst diseases, fixed world hunger & made everyone get along!

*I appreciate a good joke, that was one good joke*

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

It could be a hardware problem if it works on everything BUT this Mac Pro. You can probably salvage the components from it(CPU, RAM, etc) and use those in a machine, provided you can find a good mainboard.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

It could be, but if I plug in the HDD containing a working install of Snow Leopard it works just fine (But I do not have a password for root access/it is bloated/outdated/etc)

On top of that an Windows 10 install works fine, and detects USB's.

3 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It could be a hardware problem if it works on everything BUT this Mac Pro. You can probably salvage the components from it(CPU, RAM, etc) and use those in a machine, provided you can find a good mainboard.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Well after trying some more myself you have a pretty valid point BUT it works in Windows just fine as-is.

I plan to manage my own YouTube channel on this machine, keeping my work/personal life separated since I have trouble doing that when everything is on my main system.

I'll run some Adobe Premiere on there, see how it performs. I'll keep ya'll posted, installing Premiere while typing this message btw.

who ya gonna call?

*Terrible joke I know*