Brute Forcing Program

Hey Guys,

does anyone know of a capable Brute Forcing Programm for decrypting a .rar achive?

For some backround (this is a little bit embarassing):

In July i bought my first bitcoins, so I have made an account on Bitcoin.de, downloaded a wallet (Bitcoin Core), encrypted this wallet and backed it up. Everything there was to know I wrote down in notepad. Like the password of bitcoin.de and the passphrase of the bitcoin core wallet. When everything was finished and I had the bitcoins in my wallet, I took the txt file and saved it in an archive I also encrypted. Here I used a combination of some of my standard passwords. This combination I wrote on a piece of paper and put it in the drawer of my desk which can be locked.

So, now bitcoins are going through the roof I wanted to at least get the money I spend back, so the rest of the bitcoins can do what ever they want (i wouldn't lose any money). But since then I moved to a different apartment and the desk I used where I stored the password for the .rar archive broke so i replaced it. I thought I would remember the password but any combination I checked is wrong but I know the passwords I used for this combination.

So does anyone know something that can help me with my problem? I was thinking about a programm which takes a list of your own words and checks every combination there is. Most of the brute force programs I found are really shady or only allow 4 digits which is way to short. I am looking for a password with a length of 19 to 24 digits and every PW I used in this combination is either 7 or 8 digits long (plus some symbols which are also known).

I know that this can take ages but I really would like to try it and since I know parts of it maybe it will work.

Regards

Marc

You're joking, right?  You went thru all that trouble to encrypt entry in to your Bitcoin and now you can't figure out how to enter your account because you tossed out the key?  Geez, and I thought I was the only one to do stupid stuff like that.  I wish you luck, I really do, but I don't think luck is going to have anything to do with fixing the error of your ways.

21 minutes ago, TheKoerby said:

Most of the brute force programs I found are really shady

Not sure what you were expecting from password cracking software. 

You can find programs that will take a list of words and then spit out all the combinations of those words, so you could go through all of those combinations manually. As for cracking the password with an application to do it for you, it's not happening. 

If your really wanting to try, and if we are talk about a substantial amount of money that could be recovered, I would start looking at paid programs or a data recovery service that will do this that can take some known letters and numbers and try to force it. Or create a dictionary attack with your know passwords and see if that helps.

It also depends on what program you used to encrypt the RAR archive in the first place.

But with a 19-24 length password your probably SOL. Your only saving grace is you know portions of the password and you know how long it is, even with that information I wouldn't get my hopes to high.

Personally if I had alot of money gone like 10k, I would be willing to risk a $100 for a small chance of getting that 10K back.

I am not expecting anything. It is my own stupidity, really. And believe me when I say that I would kick my own ar*e if I could. I just thought, that there is a program that helps me trying out all combinations instead of doing it manually.

I encrypted it with winrar itself. My investment at that time were 100 euros (Bitcoin was at 1 BTC = 2050 Euro). If I will never remember it then this is a life lesson learned. Will see.

7 minutes ago, TheKoerby said:

I encrypted it with winrar itself. My investment at that time were 100 euros (Bitcoin was at 1 BTC = 2050 Euro). If I will never remember it then this is a life lesson learned. Will see.

Oh well in that case it isn't worth it buying a program to help.

Good luck, I suggest getting comfortable start up a rerun of a TV show and get cracking.

If you never remember it you can be the only person who is glad they only bought 100 euros of bitcoin when it was 2050 euros ;)

Just now, Catsrules said:

Oh well in that case it isn't worth it buying a program to help.

Good luck, I suggest getting comfortable start up a rerun of a TV show and get cracking.

If you never remember it you can be the only person who is glad they only bought 100 euros of bitcoin when it was 2050 euros ;)

Well it's something :D. Still better than the guy who threw away his harddrive and is now digging through a huge scrapyard.... I think.... :D