Year End/New year kick off!

xToFxREAPER

God its been.. Ages since i hit up the forums. Now that im back i figured id seek some opinions and (helpful) criticisms on new rig plans.

So to start off, basics of my current rig is as follows -- 4770k @ 4.5ghz on water, an msi gaming x gtx 1070 - 16gb of patriot black mamba memory. Gaming on a 1080p 60hz single monitor, sometimes 1080p 60hz tv.

K cool, got that outta the way. Why am i upgrading? thats not a bad system youll probably say. thatll still run most everything your probably thinking. well. your right but, Ive been running this tower for 3 or so years now and the only thing thats changed was my gpu. That being said, Heres the plans!

Corsair 570X RGB tempered glass case (so much sexy)

Core I7-8700k

Asus STRIX Z370-E Gaming Mobo

G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 (4x8gb kit)

2x Corsair Force MP500 M.2 NVMe ssd's 480gb each (I recall a video where linus stated its possible to raid these bad boys hence 2, correct me if im wrong)

seagte 4tb barracuda hdd for general storage and misc games that wont rely on hard drive speeds

2x Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080's

EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 platinum power supply

And last but not least, An acer X34 predator (3440x1440, 100hz gsync) to plop on the desk to plug that bad boy into ;P

General use will be gaming with some light photo and video editing from time to time. I know as a pure gaming rig its pretty overkill, im really not going for bang for your buck on this build honestly. My intent is to build something of pure beauty with raw power to run that killer monitor for at least the next while. One thing i really havent been able to settle on as yet is my cpu cooling solution. Im leaning towards an NZXT Kraken x61 but im pretty on the fence over all for that one.

So thoughts, opinions and possible points of improvement (I dont consider saving a few bucks improvement though lol) to finalize my plans and start buying would be great :) 

I know you already know this, but your PC is already very powerful and upgrading like that is kind of weird. If I were you, I would wait for next Nvidia GPUs and I would not upgrade to Coffee Lake CPU as 4770k is still very good.

TLDR: I would wait for Volta and Ice Lake and then upgrade.

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @3.3Ghz | Asus P5Q SE2 775 Socket | Asus Geforce 9600GT 1GB @700Mhz | 2x2GB DDR2 800MHZ RAM | 400w Codogen PSU | 310GB Seagate 7200.10

It's just plain silly to RAID 0 two NVMe ssd for a general purpose and gaming system. Besides, having two NVMe drives read/writing concurrently will likely cause the DMI, (Direct Media Interface, handles traffic between chipset and cpu), to bottleneck.

For the most part, the added performance of an NVMe is not noticeable in most places. But if you want the added performance, instead of two M.2 units, get a single larger one. This will leave one M.2 slot free for

You might consider getting a 2x16GB memory kit to leave two slots free for upgrading. Although, the four sticks look pretty good.

Why two GTX 1080 instead of a single GTX 1080 Ti? https://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/6/ is a bit old, but provides some hard numbers using the reference GTX 1080 Ti at 4K. The chart in https://babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/ is even more interesting. 

The psu is overkill. If you fully expect to get a second GTX 1080 Ti in the next year or so, then it would be a reasonable choice. But for two GTX 1080 or a single GTX 1080 Ti, it is simply too much. Check out the power consumption numbers in the article linked above. Consider going with a 650W psu.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 12/17/2017 at 1:36 PM, AssAss1n said:

I know you already know this, but your PC is already very powerful and upgrading like that is kind of weird. If I were you, I would wait for next Nvidia GPUs and I would not upgrade to Coffee Lake CPU as 4770k is still very good.

TLDR: I would wait for Volta and Ice Lake and then upgrade.

There are a few reasons, Fresh build itch, Gonna hand off the current system to my girlfriend when the new ones done etc. Mostly just cause of the new build itch Edit: i should note i may end up waiting for volta anyway just due to whether money works out now or then lol

On 12/17/2017 at 2:34 PM, brob said:

It's just plain silly to RAID 0 two NVMe ssd for a general purpose and gaming system. Besides, having two NVMe drives read/writing concurrently will likely cause the DMI, (Direct Media Interface, handles traffic between chipset and cpu), to bottleneck.

For the most part, the added performance of an NVMe is not noticeable in most places. But if you want the added performance, instead of two M.2 units, get a single larger one. This will leave one M.2 slot free for

You might consider getting a 2x16GB memory kit to leave two slots free for upgrading. Although, the four sticks look pretty good.

Why two GTX 1080 instead of a single GTX 1080 Ti? https://techgage.com/article/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/6/ is a bit old, but provides some hard numbers using the reference GTX 1080 Ti at 4K. The chart in https://babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/ is even more interesting. 

The psu is overkill. If you fully expect to get a second GTX 1080 Ti in the next year or so, then it would be a reasonable choice. But for two GTX 1080 or a single GTX 1080 Ti, it is simply too much. Check out the power consumption numbers in the article linked above. Consider going with a 650W psu.

The M.2 stuff i wasnt aware of, so thats good to know!

As for the sli 1080's over a 1080ti, More of a want to just cause. im fully aware of the performance differentiation, I have a few friends that either run sli 1080s or a 1080ti, Games i wanna play such as assassins creed origins will barely manage 60fps at 3440x1440 where as the sli 1080s will manage it nicely while remaining slightly more cost effective versus sli 1080ti's in the long run. That being said i have been debating that decision the past few days which route ill go on the gpu front.

Power wise i threw the numbers in on a few calculators and it actually suggested closer to 800 watts to hit proper efficiency, overhead for spikes and overclocking etc.

Thanks for the helpful info though, itll definitely help better the build :)