XFINITY Modems Bad Range

AlanAlan

Has anyone experience bad range with the XFINITY modems Cisco DPC3941T and ARRIS TG1682G. I have tried both the those models and the Cisco was a bit better but they couldn't reach the end of my home. My home is around 1,300 sqft. Does anyone know a fix to this? When my service was installed I had the ARRIS TG1682G and I had asked for a replacement they gave me the Cisco DPC3941T. They both had bad range.

buy your own modem/router.   dont use the ones they rent to you, those are trash

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Just now, Tsuki said:

buy your own modem/router.   dont use the ones they rent to you, those are trash

I also have a TV and Phone service with them. Can you link me to a good third party modem?

2 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

I also have a TV and Phone service with them. Can you link me to a good third party modem?

basically any modem that supports at least docsis 3.0 will work.

i dont remember which modem i have (its netgear though)  but my router is a Netgear R6220  its not the best thing out there, but it works so much better than any crap they give you

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

46 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

basically any modem that supports at least docsis 3.0 will work.

i dont remember which modem i have (its netgear though)  but my router is a Netgear R6220  its not the best thing out there, but it works so much better than any crap they give you

I don't I have the money right now for a new modem to replace the one XFINITY gave me. I have an old router the TP-Link Archer C5 AC1200 that I used for my old internet service from AT&T. Is it possible for me to use the TP-Link router to help better the range?

32 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Modems with phone service are not easy to get with Comcast. They have a very short list of customer owned phone modems you can get. In some cases you can use the Comcast supplied box only for phone, though they may or may not charge you. BUT if the signal coming in to your home isnt strong enough, then running both modems will be a pain in the ass. 

Using the TP Link router in AP mode might be good enough to get signal where you need it. Just disable the WiFi on the Comcast box and you should be fine. Thats assuming that the TP link router is going to be in the same room as the Comcast modem/router. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Modems with phone service are not easy to get with Comcast. They have a very short list of customer owned phone modems you can get. In some cases you can use the Comcast supplied box only for phone, though they may or may not charge you. BUT if the signal coming in to your home isnt strong enough, then running both modems will be a pain in the ass. 

Using the TP Link router in AP mode might be good enough to get signal where you need it. Just disable the WiFi on the Comcast box and you should be fine. Thats assuming that the TP link router is going to be in the same room as the Comcast modem/router. 

Yeah, if the TP Link Router works I will be putting it near the modem. My old TP-Link was used as an AP for my old internet service. Do I need to reset the tp link router for it to work?

32 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

Yeah, if the TP Link Router works I will be putting it near the modem. My old TP-Link was used as an AP for my old internet service. Do I need to reset the tp link router for it to work?

I dont think so. Just hook it up and see what happens. If it doesnt work, then you might need to configure it differently. 

10 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

I dont think so. Just hook it up and see what happens. If it doesnt work, then you might need to configure it differently. 

How do I turn off the wifi on the comcast modem?

8 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

How do I turn off the wifi on the comcast modem?

Log in to the firmware I would recon. Or maybe in to the Comcast website. To be honest Its been at least 5 years since I used any Comcast modems, I own mine. So I could only guess. 

11 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

Has anyone experience bad range with the XFINITY modems Cisco DPC3941T and ARRIS TG1682G. I have tried both the those models and the Cisco was a bit better but they couldn't reach the end of my home. My home is around 1,300 sqft. Does anyone know a fix to this? When my service was installed I had the ARRIS TG1682G and I had asked for a replacement they gave me the Cisco DPC3941T. They both had bad range.

I have a ARRIS TG1682G, I don't really use it as a router, but I have tested it, it can get full speeds of 200mbps (240mbps) upstairs on 5GHz, and my house is about 3500 sq. ft. You may have gotten a dead unit.

15 hours ago, HeroXLazer said:

I have a ARRIS TG1682G, I don't really use it as a router, but I have tested it, it can get full speeds of 200mbps (240mbps) upstairs on 5GHz, and my house is about 3500 sq. ft. You may have gotten a dead unit.

It works when you close to the modem but when you get further away from it you get little to none internet connection. My home is two stories and the modem is installed in the front of the house in my living room and I can't get any connection upstairs or downstairs in the back of the home.

19 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

It works when you close to the modem but when you get further away from it you get little to none internet connection. My home is two stories and the modem is installed in the front of the house in my living room and I can't get any connection upstairs or downstairs in the back of the home.

Really, I get pretty good speeds throughout my house, they aren't the best speeds, but it's worked well still.

21 hours ago, HeroXLazer said:

Really, I get pretty good speeds throughout my house, they aren't the best speeds, but it's worked well still.

I have the 100mbps plan and in the back side of the house I barley get 4 mbps, I know that is still usable but the connection drops once in a while.

3 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

I have the 100mbps plan and in the back side of the house I barley get 4 mbps, I know that is still usable but the connection drops once in a while.

I have 200mbps, and I get 50mbps upstairs. The Netgear C7100V may be a good alternative.

12 hours ago, HeroXLazer said:

I have 200mbps, and I get 50mbps upstairs. The Netgear C7100V may be a good alternative.

Have you used the Netgear C7100v before?

13 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

No, but it seems to be good in the reviews.

13 hours ago, AlanAlan said:

Your best bet is a separate modem and router. Modem router combos in my experience just have shit WiFi most of the time. Also, keep in mind, that your paying Comcast $10 or 11 a month for that shitty box. 

Only advice for modems I can give, Dont get any with Intel Puma 5,6,7 chips. They seem to have some kind of issues. Especially  the Intel puma 6 chip. You might consider a Docsis 3.1 modem as it will support Gigabit speeds. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

Your best bet is a separate modem and router. Modem router combos in my experience just have shit WiFi most of the time. Also, keep in mind, that your paying Comcast $10 or 11 a month for that shitty box. 

Only advice for modems I can give, Dont get any with Intel Puma 5,6,7 chips. They seem to have some kind of issues. Especially  the Intel puma 6 chip. You might consider a Docsis 3.1 modem as it will support Gigabit speeds. 

So its better to pay a one price of $200 for a better modem than keep paying $10-$11? Is it $10-$11 until your end of the lease or the amount the modem is worth? 

22 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

So its better to pay a one price of $200 for a better modem than keep paying $10-$11? Is it $10-$11 until your end of the lease or the amount the modem is worth? 

There is no end of the lease. You pay them fuckers forever. At $10 a month you pay that modem off in like 2 years, Not even. 

47 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

There is no end of the lease. You pay them fuckers forever. At $10 a month you pay that modem off in like 2 years, Not even. 

So you would have to pay it as long as your a comcast customer. Would this be a better modem option? I have XFINITY voice service to.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-Telephone-Certified-XFINITY/dp/B06XDGWKSB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513547241&sr=8-3&keywords=xfinity+modem+with+voice+line

I am a new customer, will they penalize you for buying a seperate modem?

6 minutes ago, AlanAlan said:

So you would have to pay it as long as your a comcast customer. Would this be a better modem option? I have XFINITY voice service to.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard-Telephone-Certified-XFINITY/dp/B06XDGWKSB/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513547241&sr=8-3&keywords=xfinity+modem+with+voice+line

I am a new customer, will they penalize you for buying a seperate modem?

They dont penalize you for buying equipment. I just know if you have voice service you need to be careful. You need to look at the Comcast supported device list on their website and see what they allow in your area. Because Comcast is very particular and if you buy a voice modem they could tell you it wont work. Dont trust what the listing on Amazon says, check Comcast first. The voice service is why we rented a modem from them for the better part of a decade. Once we got rid of voice service we went and bought our own modem. Also, I will never buy a modem/router combo myself. I dont like them, for me they always had shitty service.