Different ram speeds but DDR 4

Hi everyone..

So I ran into a problem. My PC setup is:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 clocked to 3.4 GHz.

MSI B350 PC mate motherboard.

2x4 gig Kingston hyper x fury 2400mhz cl 15 ram.

120 gig SSD.

GTX 1060 6gb graphics card.

Ram is running at 2400mhz in bios.

CPU clocked to 3.4 GHz via oc genie in bios.

I can't seem to find the same ram from the supplier and he can't give me time on when the ram will be in stock..

Now I'm curious,I want to buy another 2x4 gig memory..but the only ram I can get is also Kingston hyper x fury 2x4 gig 2666mhz CL 15 ram.

Will this work okay? Will I lose performance? Will it work okay with ryzen?

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Hi im Aurora said:

cut

Mixing memories isn't the best choice.. and 4 sticks configurations on Ryzen suck.

With that said, within the same Brand you are unlikely to have issues. You will need to set these at the same speed tho, so 2400 Mhz. (Also because higher than 2400 is "OC" on AM4 and might not be supported).

You'd better sell your 2x4 sticks and get a 1x8/2x8 configuration. It will allow better stability and better OC potential for your memory if you are interested in 2400+ sticks. 

Why do you keep the CPU so low?

3.4GHz you doing a silent build?

oof owie blue liquid is coming out of my eyes pls help

8 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Mixing memories isn't the best choice.. and 4 sticks configurations on Ryzen suck.

With that said, within the same Brand you are unlikely to have issues. You will need to set these at the same speed tho, so 2400 Mhz. (Also because higher than 2400 is "OC" on AM4 and might not be supported).

You'd better sell your 2x4 sticks and get a 1x8/2x8 configuration. It will allow better stability and better OC potential for your memory if you are interested in 2400+ sticks. 

Why do you keep the CPU so low?

isnt the "rule" with ryzen to never run single channel? (Because ryzen loves to be fed with fast memory)  Also i would settle for a identical pair of ram instead of two different ones, but as long as they run the same mhz and are from the same brand i dont think there will be an issue. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

isnt the "rule" with ryzen to never run single channel? (Because ryzen loves to be fed with fast memory)  Also i would settle for a identical pair of ram instead of two different ones, but as long as they run the same mhz and are from the same brand i dont think there will be an issue. 

1 stick = Best frequency, stability, overclock, worst channels and size possibility.

2 sticks = Good balance between all of these.

3 sticks = Just avoid.

4 Sticks = Best size, same channels as 2, worst on everything else.

On Intel you don't have these problems, but on Ryzen you do. Since the bridge counts a LOT on the speed, if you run a single, high capacity, very high speed stick you're gonna have the best experience with a great stability. If you increase the sticks count, your chance to reach higher frequencies will be much lowered.

22 minutes ago, warlinty said:

3.4GHz you doing a silent build?

Yes ,I'm still new to overclocking ,so I'm just using my motherboard to overclock my CPU.

1 minute ago, Hi im Aurora said:

Yes ,I'm still new to overclocking ,so I'm just using my motherboard to overclock my CPU.

well it's not hard once you slowly start getting into t

oof owie blue liquid is coming out of my eyes pls help

3 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

1 stick = Best frequency, stability, overclock, worst channels and size possibility.

2 sticks = Good balance between all of these.

3 sticks = Just avoid.

4 Sticks = Best size, same channels as 2, worst on everything else.

On Intel you don't have these problems, but on Ryzen you do. Since the bridge counts a LOT on the speed, if you run a single, high capacity, very high speed stick you're gonna have the best experience with a great stability. If you increase the sticks count, your chance to reach higher frequencies will be much lowered.

i see. since higher speeds counts as "overclocking" its down to silicon lottery i suppose, But would 1 stick of 3200 mhz beat two sticks at 2400mhz? in pure performance that is.

I will eventually overclock it to around 3.7 but still a little scared ,as I bought it like 2 weeks ago.

So I guess I'll just buy 2x 8 gig sticks with 3200 MHz .  I'm not really into overclocking ram,as I haven't tried that before... So putting in another 2 sticks is going to be a bad idea?

Just now, GoldenLag said:

i see. since higher speeds counts as "overclocking" its down to silicon lottery i suppose, But would 1 stick of 3200 mhz beat two sticks at 2400mhz? in pure performance that is.

Great question actually. 2133 DC vs 3200 SC would trade blows a lot in gaming, with one or the other winning sometime and losing other times. However, it depends on the final software you are using. There are some that actually can GREATLY benefit from higher frequency and others that do the same with "more channels".

Generally speaking tho, whatever configuration or speed you go for.. the resulting performance will be always within a 0-10% at best. So, I think nobody should really care about it. I'd go for a 2400 DC generally, since I hate to see single sticks around.. I did my build with a 4 sticks at the beginning just for that.

4 minutes ago, Hi im Aurora said:

I will eventually overclock it to around 3.7 but still a little scared ,as I bought it like 2 weeks ago.

So I guess I'll just buy 2x 8 gig sticks with 3200 MHz .  I'm not really into overclocking ram,as I haven't tried that before... So putting in another 2 sticks is going to be a bad idea?

Stick to two sticks unless you REALLY need more size. 

You can very safely reach 3,7 - 3,8 on the stock cooler on Ryzen. Actually, if you don't go over 1,35V you're in the "complete safezone" AMD gives you. For ASUS to compare, it's 1,4V. I personally run my 1700 at 3,9Ghz 24/7 at 1,375V.

Just now, ErrantNyles said:

Great question actually. 2133 DC vs 3200 SC would trade blows a lot in gaming, with one or the other winning sometime and losing other times. However, it depends on the final software you are using. There are some that actually can GREATLY benefit from higher frequency and others that do the same with "more channels".

Generally speaking tho, whatever configuration or speed you go for.. the resulting performance will be always within a 0-10% at best. So, I think nobody should really care about it. I'd go for a 2400 DC generally, since I hate to see single sticks around.. I did my build with a 4 sticks at the beginning just for that.

yep. im doing a "good looks" build this summer. dropping generic ram for some hyper x 2666 ddr4. hopefully with 4 sticks of 4 gb

1 minute ago, ErrantNyles said:

Stick to two sticks unless you REALLY need more size. 

You can very safely reach 3,7 - 3,8 on the stock cooler on Ryzen. Actually, if you don't go over 1,35V you're in the "complete safezone" AMD gives you. For ASUS to compare, it's 1,4V. I personally run my 1700 at 3,9Ghz 24/7 at 1,375V.

personally ive run my 1500x at around 1,3825 volts overclocked to 3,925 ghz. i think my motherboard isnt great for overclocking. since it crashed after 4 consequtive cinabenches, but never under normal use. might just be my crappy stock cooler aswell

lets say i dont want high freq ram,ill stick with 2400 (i wont overclock the ram) will it be okay to use 4x4 gigs? 2x4gigs will be 2400mhz,the other 2x4 gigs will be 2666mhz. Will they automatically down clock to 2400? 

If i run it like this will i lose performace ? like 2x8gig vs 4x4gig ?

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

yep. im doing a "good looks" build this summer. dropping generic ram for some hyper x 2666 ddr4. hopefully with 4 sticks of 4 gb

I tried 4x8GB of KINGSTON FURY X when Ryzen launched. Painful.

Tried again after agesa was updated. Painful. But at least it was stable at 2400Mhz.

Then went to the 4x4 Hyper X route. Painful. Still 2400Mhz.

So I dropped to 2x8GB Corsair. 2666ish.. not really stable

And then 2x8GB Hyper X again. Same.

So yeah, I totally can't go over 2400Mhz on memory on my motherboard/chip. Which is a shame, because I can run my 1700 at 4,1Ghz without problems and with quite a low voltage (1,4-1,425V). It's up to your luck, but the more sticks you add the less your chance to run it over 2400 are gonna be.

1 minute ago, Hi im Aurora said:

lets say i dont want high freq ram,ill stick with 2400 (i wont overclock the ram) will it be okay to use 4x4 gigs? 2x4gigs will be 2400mhz,the other 2x4 gigs will be 2666mhz. Will they automatically down clock to 2400? 

If i run it like this will i lose performace ? like 2x8gig vs 4x4gig ?

Yes they will run at 2400 as a stock. You won't lose a noticeable performance.

3 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Yes they will run at 2400 as a stock. You won't lose a noticeable performance.

Thank you, but will i gain a huge performance increase in gaming if i go for 2x8 gig 3200mhz ram?

Just now, Hi im Aurora said:

Thank you, but will i gain a huge performance increase in gaming if i go for 2x8 gig 3200mhz ram?

Depends on the game, the resolution, the settings .. and so on. It usually can go from -5% to +15%. Generally speaking it will be equal. Also keep in mind that is totally not guaranteed that you can actually run two sticks or even one at 3200Mhz. It's up to luck, so don't "force it". Just stick to whatever your budget is comfortable with.

For "just gaming", I don't recommend even trying it unless you have a very little price difference between your choices and a 2x3200Mhz kit. If it goes good, great! If it doesn't, well you wasted a few coffees..

2 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

Depends on the game, the resolution, the settings .. and so on. It usually can go from -5% to +15%. Generally speaking it will be equal. Also keep in mind that is totally not guaranteed that you can actually run two sticks or even one at 3200Mhz. It's up to luck, so don't "force it". Just stick to whatever your budget is comfortable with.

For "just gaming", I don't recommend even trying it unless you have a very little price difference between your choices and a 2x3200Mhz kit. If it goes good, great! If it doesn't, well you wasted a few coffees..

Thanks for the great advice