Wanted: Encrypted data container / virtual drive for sensible data

Stefan1024
Go to solution Solved by Tabs,
3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Hello earth

Due to reasons I will work from home and therefor will have some more or less sensible data on my personal PC. So I'm looking for a secure way to save them.

I'm looking for a program that will encapsulate and encrypt the data and present them as virtual drive when the password was entered.

When the data container is deleted it must no be able to resore the data without the password.

Do you know a program with this capabilities? It can also cost (a reasonable) amount of money.

Than you.

Veracrypt can create encrypted file containers. Veracrypt is the new incarnation of TrueCrypt, which has since been getting audited to check for vulnerabilities and such, with the fixes being encapsulated into the Veracrypt project.

It's open source and free to use. 

Link here.

Hello earth

Due to reasons I will work from home and therefor will have some more or less sensible data on my personal PC. So I'm looking for a secure way to save them.

I'm looking for a program that will encapsulate and encrypt the data and present them as virtual drive when the password was entered.

When the data container is deleted it must no be able to resore the data without the password.

Do you know a program with this capabilities? It can also cost (a reasonable) amount of money.

Than you.

Edit: Google spits out a lot of results, but I'm looking for a program you used and you can recommend, instead of trusting a random program from the internet.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

3 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Hello earth

Than you.

Veracrypt can create encrypted file containers. Veracrypt is the new incarnation of TrueCrypt, which has since been getting audited to check for vulnerabilities and such, with the fixes being encapsulated into the Veracrypt project.

Link here.

30 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Link here.

Thank you for the advise.

I just tested it and it works fine. Combined with MKLINK I can trick the program. so it thinks the data is on the C: drive (the project has some hard coded paths and needs to be placed on the C: drive).

Compiling on the encripted virtual drive is about 8.5% slower than bare metal, but that's not too bad.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

1 hour ago, Stefan1024 said:

Thank you for the advise.

I just tested it and it works fine. Combined with MKLINK I can trick the program. so it thinks the data is on the C: drive (the project has some hard coded paths and needs to be placed on the C: drive).

Compiling on the encripted virtual drive is about 8.5% slower than bare metal, but that's not too bad.

If you have a modern intel or amd cpu with AES acceleration, and you use AES only as the cypher suite for your container, you should be able to reduce that figure to almost nothing.

Still, for the sake of security, 8.5% really isn't bad at all. Glad it's working for you.

23 hours ago, Tabs said:

If you have a modern intel or amd cpu with AES acceleration, and you use AES only as the cypher suite for your container, you should be able to reduce that figure to almost nothing.

Still, for the sake of security, 8.5% really isn't bad at all. Glad it's working for you.

11 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Seems like you're already done but I just wanted to say that I too recommend VeraCrypt.

I use AES with an i7-7700k and the benchmark shows me 7.1 GB/s (about 5x the speed of my drive). However, compiling is sensitive to latency and not sequencial speed.

On the other hand I overclocked my CPU by > 8.5%, so I don't care about the slow down ;)