RAID 0 question

ApexSutton31

Hello all,

I am going to transfer my x99 system (5820k) [minus the 1080ti] to my father for his music production and possible video editing. I'm build an x299 system for myself just for a bit of an update as well as some newer features.

I'm wanting to go with an all SSD setup. M.2 for my boot drive and possibly a couple 1TB or 2TB 2.5" drives for bulk storage. My question is, would it be a decent idea to do the 2.5" drives in RAID 0? Or should I just transfer my SSD and HDD from the x99 system and get a new SSD and HDD for my father? I mainly just do streaming and gaming, so I'm not too worried about the better stability of RAID 1.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

1 hour ago, ApexSutton31 said:

Hello all,

I am going to transfer my x99 system (5820k) [minus the 1080ti] to my father for his music production and possible video editing. I'm build an x299 system for myself just for a bit of an update as well as some newer features.

I'm wanting to go with an all SSD setup. M.2 for my boot drive and possibly a couple 1TB or 2TB 2.5" drives for bulk storage. My question is, would it be a decent idea to do the 2.5" drives in RAID 0? Or should I just transfer my SSD and HDD from the x99 system and get a new SSD and HDD for my father? I mainly just do streaming and gaming, so I'm not too worried about the better stability of RAID 1.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!

basically: raid-0 = combined storage, combined speed, one drive fails, everything is lost
raid-1 = drive 1 is mirrored with drive 2, speed is about similar to one drive, only the size of one drive, one drive fails, other contains exact same information

do you want speed and size with risk? or security and little risk at the cost of higher speeds and size?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

1 minute ago, Changis said:

basically: raid-0 = combined storage, combined speed, one drive fails, everything is lost
raid-1 = drive 1 is mirrored with drive 2, speed is about similar to one drive, only the size of one drive, one drive fails, other contains exact same information

do you want speed and size with risk? or security and little risk at the cost of higher speeds and size?

Yeah, I understand both RAID 0 and 1. Even though I've never set up either before. Lol. But that's basically my question. Is the risk really that great? Because having the speed and size would be really nice as my Steam library and all that go up. And most games are stored, so you can just download them again if something goes bad. But with now a days SSDs and what not, I assume that they've come to the point that they're not unstable. That they're very good, compared to when they first came out. Especially when you go with a reputable brand like WD, Samsung, etc. Am I wrong in thinking so?

3 minutes ago, ApexSutton31 said:

Yeah, I understand both RAID 0 and 1. Even though I've never set up either before. Lol. But that's basically my question. Is the risk really that great? Because having the speed and size would be really nice as my Steam library and all that go up. And most games are stored, so you can just download them again if something goes bad. But with now a days SSDs and what not, I assume that they've come to the point that they're not unstable. That they're very good, compared to when they first came out. Especially when you go with a reputable brand like WD, Samsung, etc. Am I wrong in thinking so?

to put it this way; i have mine in raid0 as system drive, but i have cloud sync on my documents etc, and all my games are located on spinning disks, so a reinstall is pretty fast as i just overwrite the installations of gog, ubiplay, origin and steam, steam is the best, it just detects all games instantly..

if reinstalling and re-downlading, as well as no worries towards document loss, is ok with you, go with striped (0)

if you store things on your system drive, and aren't so good with taking regular backups to other media etc, go with mirrored (1)

the risk is as big as you make itt really.. if you put all your vital docs on your main striped drive, then it's a big risk of data loss.. but striping won't damage the drives or hardware in any way... 

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

1 hour ago, Changis said:

to put it this way; i have mine in raid0 as system drive, but i have cloud sync on my documents etc, and all my games are located on spinning disks, so a reinstall is pretty fast as i just overwrite the installations of gog, ubiplay, origin and steam, steam is the best, it just detects all games instantly..

if reinstalling and re-downlading, as well as no worries towards document loss, is ok with you, go with striped (0)

if you store things on your system drive, and aren't so good with taking regular backups to other media etc, go with mirrored (1)

the risk is as big as you make itt really.. if you put all your vital docs on your main striped drive, then it's a big risk of data loss.. but striping won't damage the drives or hardware in any way... 

Okay cool. That did outline it a lot better. So thank you for that! Yeah, I probably should look into either cloud storage or external hard storage just in case. But this PC is usually not used for too many docs and what not. That's the ASUS laptop. But either way, that helped a lot!

7 hours ago, ApexSutton31 said:

You're not wrong in theory, however, one must assume everything is in a state of failure as soon as it leaves the factory. If you're OK with losing your RAID 0 array, then go for it. Just make sure you have a backup, or instead go with a software based solution such as StableBit DrivePool to pool the disks together. This provides RAID0-like read speeds, reading files from both drives at the same time, but RAID1-like redundancy in case of failures. Or go RAID1 if you want redundancy. Just remember that RAID IS NOT A BACKUP, and hardware RAID does not exist, will fail, and is (IMO) not worth it by the time you factor in rebuilding the array, assuming you can find replacement hardware.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

14 hours ago, kirashi said:

You're not wrong in theory, however, one must assume everything is in a state of failure as soon as it leaves the factory. If you're OK with losing your RAID 0 array, then go for it. Just make sure you have a backup, or instead go with a software based solution such as StableBit DrivePool to pool the disks together. This provides RAID0-like read speeds, reading files from both drives at the same time, but RAID1-like redundancy in case of failures. Or go RAID1 if you want redundancy. Just remember that RAID IS NOT A BACKUP, and hardware RAID does not exist, will fail, and is (IMO) not worth it by the time you factor in rebuilding the array, assuming you can find replacement hardware.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Kind of like cars, the minute you start modding them, they then become unstable since you've changed them from stock. Lol. I think I'll end up waiting on this setup for now and just run an M.2 and HDD from the moment. Plus, 2 2TB SSDs are like $1k plus shipping. And obviously even more if I was to go with 4 SSDs. So it's clearly not a cheap option right now. Thank you for the response though!