New system crash

SpaceNugget

Hi everyone,

I built a new system with a ryzen 1600. I picked up the parts on newegg black friday. The system hangs after a few minutes. I figured that the general sentiment was that ryzen ram instability was mostly delt with so I just grabbed a 16 gig kit of 2133 ddr4 patriot memory but it is not on the patriot list of amd compatible memory. Strangely enough, the system seems to be able to sit in bios without hanging.

Should I try to see if I can return the memory? Has anyone had a similar issue? Any guesses for troubleshooting bios settings etc? I have already updated the bios on the asrock AB350M Pro4 to the latest version and it hasn't helped.

Thanks

Even if it's not the memory causing the crash I would return it; you want to go for 2800 - 3000+ MHz with Ryzen if you can.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

im running unsupported memory just fine. i have 2400mhz HP memory chip installed.

it can sit in bios normally because theres no load. means no heat generated.

why don't you check your temp first, see if its above normal, if it does, reseat the heatsink properly.

have you tried updating your bios, if the memory unsupported, surely it would be fixed by now.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

14 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

im running unsupported memory just fine. i have 2400mhz HP memory chip installed.

it can sit in bios normally because theres no load. means no heat generated.

why don't you check your temp first, see if its above normal, if it does, reseat the heatsink properly.

have you tried updating your bios, if the memory unsupported, surely it would be fixed by now.

I have already updated the bios on the asrock AB350M Pro4 to the latest version and it hasn't helped.

I cant really check temps as I cant get into an os, it crashes in the installer

maybe you got a bad memory (this do happened in new parts).

that crash are we talking about? crash when loading windows or crash in installer mode?

maybe first you want to reset the bios to default and boot.

this got nothing to do with you having a 2133 ddr. you may have a defunct memory.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

maybe you got a bad memory (this do happened in new parts).

that crash are we talking about? crash when loading windows or crash in installer mode?

maybe first you want to reset the bios to default and boot.

this got nothing to do with you having a 2133 ddr. you may have a defunct memory.

It happens ~5 minutes after booting. I tried running a linux live install on a thumbstick and it works fine for 5 minutes then locks up. the image on screen freezes and the computer is totally unresponsive. Same thing happens 5 minutes into installing windows.

22 hours ago, SpaceNugget said:

It happens ~5 minutes after booting. I tried running a linux live install on a thumbstick and it works fine for 5 minutes then locks up. the image on screen freezes and the computer is totally unresponsive. Same thing happens 5 minutes into installing windows.

If its happening on other OS, 100% hardware problem.

Download Memtest86, burn it in a usb drive, boot and test.