Second network via another router?

Hello I have recently installed telus fiber 150 I think and they gave me this white box that the fiber connects into...I would like to hook up another router and have my own privrate network other than my family's, how would I go about this? there is a few "data" ports on the back of the white box and Im not quite sure but it seems like only data1 works.. I would like a seperate network from everyone else, I have a cheapie router its a linsys e1200. Thanks for reading, dont know much about the rules on LTT forums nor about networking haha.

Do you have a picture of the back of the white box?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

sorry for potato quality. Telus support told me that I would need to contact support plus. which is 60 canadian pesos per service! outrageous!

24879430_1656065804443637_2114876586_o.jpg

Just now, Allen-lin1120 said:

sorry for potato quality. Telus support told me that I would need to contact support plus. which is 60 canadian pesos per service! outrageous!

24879430_1656065804443637_2114876586_o.jpg

btw sorry too for it being upside down.. my phone is very weird

21 minutes ago, Allen-lin1120 said:

btw sorry too for it being upside down.. my phone is very weird

That box is a router. Now technically you could hook your own router to it. One issue however. Double NAT. It will make port forwarding a nightmare and UPNP will not work on the second router, which dynamically opens ports thru the firewall for you when a program requests it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

29 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

That box is a router. Now technically you could hook your own router to it. One issue however. Double NAT. It will make port forwarding a nightmare and UPNP will not work on the second router, which dynamically opens ports thru the firewall for you when a program requests it. 

they gave us another box which is a telus router... So Im very confused on why they would have two routers in series

Telus support also said that by default the only the first port is enabled... Id have to call their support plus line to know how to enable the other 3. which. again costs money, why would I need to pay for services they should already provide..

37 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

that is actually an ont for fibre. you could possibly get a 2nd account for a 2nd internet service. converts the fiber signal to a copper connection, dumb version.

I install these. they are not routers, routers hook up to the data ports

3 minutes ago, intertan said:

that is actually an ont for fibre. you could possibly get a 2nd account for a 2nd internet service. converts the fiber signal to a copper connection, dumb version.

I install these

Id Have to Get another internet connection? ugh.. 

4 minutes ago, intertan said:

I install these

I cannot just do assisted software wizardry and enable the other ones?

2 minutes ago, Allen-lin1120 said:

I cannot just do assisted software wizardry and enable the other ones?

nope, what is your end goal? share your current connection with your parents with your own network or have your own dedicated bandwidth?

share the connection with my own network, though I am the biggest internet user in the house I do not need much more than what is already there

6 minutes ago, intertan said:

nope, what is your end goal? share your current connection with your parents with your own network or have your own dedicated bandwidth?

Just now, Allen-lin1120 said:

share the connection with my own network, though I am the biggest internet user in the house I do not need much more than what is already there

wired or wireless? 

You do not want a 2nd router, do they have telus tv or just internet?

My parents likes to unplug the router for my other brother whos quite young. and since we are on the same network the house kinda gets no outside communication at night

Just now, intertan said:

wired or wireless? 

You do not want a 2nd router, do they have telus tv or just internet?

Just internet, I would have to have a wired connection, wireless would be nice too.

hate to say it but you might be better off getting your own connection. it would use data2 port on that ont, usually

You could get a AP and lock it with your own network name/password

So in short your parents kick your younger brother off and your connection is collateral damage.

Just now, intertan said:

So in short your parents kick your younger brother off and your connection is collateral damage.

Yeah practically. It gets annoying when you are trying to edit an essay with a friend on google docs and you just get shut down for the night

They even bought a timer to turn it off at 11:30.. and my phone data is running low

6 minutes ago, Allen-lin1120 said:

Yeah practically. It gets annoying when you are trying to edit an essay with a friend on google docs and you just get shut down for the night

They even bought a timer to turn it off at 11:30.. and my phone data is running low

ok how about this. I am assuming your brother is using wireless?

It will take a little work and some research You/parents take control of the main router provided by telus, they get a AP that your brother uses and that is his to use separate network name/password. You could get a cheap router that can act as an AP. That way when it is unplugged/disables there is still wifi in the house, your brother cant do anything cause he only has access to his network when it is on.

I don't know telus equipment after the ont, you could talk to them and see if there is a setting or something that could work as well. some wireless devices have a guest network as well.

I suggested that sort since there is a blocking service option in the router settings?.. yeah. but they just said your brothr would whine and shit so trying to do this stealthily lol. Im 18 already I have a sense of when I should get off. Collateral is bad news..

I know with the isp I use and it works for the most part is You don't need to use the isp provided router. Especially since it is internet only,

You could look at getting your own router hide the ssid so when your parents disable the primary one yours gets turned on. 

It is still visible but usually says hidden network.

31 minutes ago, intertan said:

I install these. they are not routers, routers hook up to the data ports

Have to forgive me. Here in the US, they put a box mounted in your house and from that they convert to Coax or Ethernet and run a router. Most ONT's here only have 1 Ethernet from what I have seen.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

6 minutes ago, intertan said:

I know with the isp I use and it works for the most part is You don't need to use the isp provided router. Especially since it is internet only,

You could look at getting your own router hide the ssid so when your parents disable the primary one yours gets turned on. 

It is still visible but usually says hidden network.

Which isp do you use and about how much?

6 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Have to forgive me. Here in the US, they put a box mounted in your house and from that they convert to Coax or Ethernet and run a router. Most ONT's here only have 1 Ethernet from what I have seen.

I see.. thats okay. Our fiber line just got put in here anyway 

I know my company thought of that but decided against it, we get some extreme cold days and equipment damage is possible.

We also have 911 regulations so in the event a power outage ocures they can still dial 911.

I have yet to see any Canadian fiber isp install something like some us providers use. I have seen traditional cable companies use something but can't comment on that

we have the battery/ont power supply in the bottom left, the device the OP has posted on the middle and the router on the top. This is an early setup and equipment has changed but functions the exact same.

telus.jpg