Mirror's Edge Catalyst is a fantastic game!

Yoo Song Won

One of the first Xbox 360 games I got as a kid was the original 2008 Mirror's Edge and I was immensely excited to hear that there was going to be a new one. I only used to ever play the original Mirror's Edge and was very good at it. I raved about it the new one for months and months, talking non-stop about it. 

However, when the game came out, many of the reviews for the game weren't as high as I hoped them to be and was extremely disappointed by it so I ended up not getting the game right away and waited for the price to drop. However, even when it did, my hype for it died out due to the lacklustre reviews.

Just recently, I managed to get the game for my PC for only £5, and to my surprise, the game lived up to the hype and extreme expectations I had for it when it was first announced. The music by Solar Fields, the visuals, the gameplay (Yes, even the combat), the story and the characters were all good to incredible! It still felt like the original without a lot of the issues of the first game.

I'm very much disappointed in myself for listening to the critics who of which I realised weren't that great at the game, therefore, not having as much fun as I did. Of course reviews don't revolve around how 'good' someone is but I feel like many critics gave Mirror's Edge Catalyst an unfair review. 

I thought about whether I was biased or not or whether my nostalgia with the original was kicking in, and tried to study the game at a realistic and critical point of view, and even when I did, I found that I still think Mirror's Edge is a fantastic game that is fairly underrated. 

I've been listening to critics for both games and movies for so long of which, most of the time, works for me but I feel like I need to stop relying on what critics think and make my own decisions on whether I like a game and what level of quality I legitimately think it has.

I'm not going to bother saying what I thought was good or bad about the game but I was just wondering for those who have played the game, what they think about it and whether they've had an experience like what I've had with Mirror's Edge Catalyst.

For me the game does not live up to the hype, I can't really remember why as I haven't played it in ages, I stupidly bought it for £50 and didn't know you could refund on Origin at that point, I was sucked in by the hype.

It's a decent game that could have been better. DICE doesn't know how to make anything that isn't battlefield. They should have let someone else handle it

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit