New Rig

jamescpu

Hi my system won’t post and has a dram led I’m sure both cpu and ram are seated properly also a question can a cpu run without thermal paste I need some I need to make sure the system post

1D70BEE2-23B8-4EAB-9AA9-11F8305B85FF.jpeg

4D975283-A5B3-4CF8-9EBA-6871780477E9.jpeg

Try a single stick of ram in the primary slot and see if it will post.

Yes you need thermal paste.  The CPU will overheat very quickly without it.

8 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Try a single stick of ram in the primary slot and see if it will post.

Yes you need thermal paste.  The CPU will overheat very quickly without it.

Should the system be able to post without it 

Without the paste?  Possibly, but not for long.  The fans spin nonstop when the system is on.  Without a way to dissipate that heat the system will shut down to save itself.  Get paste first, then test the system so you aren't chasing the error around.

1 minute ago, jamescpu said:

Should the system be able to post without it 

Yes should post without it, just don't run it for too long. The stock cooler should come with thermal paste pre-applied, what happened?
Ensure the CPU cooler is plugged into the CPU fan header on the motherboard, and not a normal fan header.

If you don't have thermal paste at hand, use toothpaste, but only to test the post / 5 min in bios. But for just post test you can go without the thermal paste.

I've used toothpaste on a GPU and it survived a valley benchmark run.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

If you have a problem with the ram, it usually a coupe short and a long beeps when you boot.

to diagnose the problem unplug / remove everything but the cpu and power.

Clear CMOS first, press power, if it turns on and long beep, then your cpu is okay (hopefully).

next plug 1 memory, try each slot until it turns on. If it does, put the other memory back.

if everyhing is okay the cpu will boot with only 1 short beep.

than you can safely put every other peripherals (gpu/hdd etc).

Yes, you can boot the pc without thermal paste as long as the cpu make a perfect contact with the heatsink, but not for long, as soon as you run some program it will auto shutdown to prevent burning.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

yup, you have a bent pin sir...

Try to carefully realign those pin with tweezers, hopefully you haven't short the motherboard or the cpu.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

yup, you have a bent pin sir...

Try to carefully realign those pin with tweezers, hopefully you haven't short the motherboard or the cpu.

I might just RMA the board 

Yes you can try RMA the board, if it still covered.

But i'm not sure they will accept it, as it seen as end users incidents.

Good luck.

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yes you can try RMA the board, if it still covered.

But i'm not sure they will accept it, as it seen as end users incidents.

Good luck.

Arrived like this didn’t realise until now 

well you have to prepare a very good argument.

every motherboard should come with a plastic covering the lga pins from bending. i see you have more than a couple pin broken, which is massive, in most cases they will offer you a replacement for xxx bucks.

if i were you, i would reallign those pins before returning it.

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

well you have to prepare a very good argument.

every motherboard should come with a plastic covering the lga pins from bending. i see you have more than a couple pin broken, which is massive, in most cases they will offer you a replacement for xxx bucks.

if i were you, i would reallign those pins before returning it.

Nah that’s not the worst I’ve seen I know people who got rmas with worst than that I have proof of puarchase and a pic of the motherboard out of box