Internet Issue with my computer

JeremyWKK

Hi, I have been having this problem where by my 1Gbps connection will sometimes show 1Gbps in link speed and sometimes show 100Mbps. So I tried to change the speed and duplex manually to 1 Gbps, and it worked for 2 days before internet was totally cut off. I had to change it back to auto negotiation for it to work again, and when I changed it back it showed a link speed of 100mbps. I tried the diagnostic and it said my cable link is only capable of 100Mbps. Last resort, I called my ISP but also to no avail. I unplugged and plugged the ethernet cable back and it showed now I am running 1 Gbps speed, the diagnostic this time said that the cable was running at its max speed. I am lost as to what went wrong, and this issue only affects my LAN line, my wifi works as intended.

Yes, and it did turn to 1Gbps when I tried the cable to my laptop. Even taking the cable straight from modem to pc ( bypassing router) gives me 100mbps when the problem occurs.

10 minutes ago, JeremyWKK said:

Yes, and it did turn to 1Gbps when I tried the cable to my laptop. Even taking the cable straight from modem to pc ( bypassing router) gives me 100mbps when the problem occurs.

what type of cable?

cat5=100mhz

cat5a=150mhz

cat6=200mhz

cat6a=250mhz

if you run cat5 any type with greater than 3meters of cable length then halfduplex might be best mode choice

8 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

what type of cable?

cat5=100mhz

cat5a=150mhz

cat6=200mhz

cat6a=250mhz

if you run cat5 any type with greater than 3meters of cable length then halfduplex might be best mode choice

Half duplex will ONLY get you 100Mbps with ethernet. Ethernet 1Gbps and above requires full duplex.

Ethernet is rated to 1Gbps on Cat5e up to 100meters, duplex has nothing to do with it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Also to note, the problem is solved when i unplug and plug it back without turning anything off whatsoever.

2 hours ago, JeremyWKK said:

Also to note, the problem is solved when i unplug and plug it back without turning anything off whatsoever.

If the fact that changing the cables still provides you with the same result it could be your ethernet port on your pc is partially damaged.

Have you got a spare network adaptor, it could be worth trying. you can get one for under £20.