website wont load

firestronk
Go to solution Solved by Tabs,
11 minutes ago, PhoenixArising said:

No odd entries in HOSTS. I run malwarebytes and bitdefender, running a system scan now

It's worth noting that Bitdefender includes various forms of network monitoring itself to try to protect you from bad pages etc. If you're sure you're connecting to the correct bank site (and not a phishing one), it may be worth uninstalling Bitdefender temporarily and trying it again.

Note: I mentioned uninstalling it because many system protection suites keep their components memory-resident when disabled, in a passthrough mode. This means that any issues arising from the use of the software can't be fully diagnosed without the software being removed completely. You can reinstall it after testing.

I've been trying to log into my bank's website for quite sometime now but for whatever reason, I just get a spinning circle. In the bottom left corner, it says that it is waiting for the website but it never ends up loading. I've cleared my cache/cookies but it still did not work. I also tried it on other devices and I was able to log in from there so it just seems to be my desktop with chrome as the browser.

Do you have any extensions installed that may be disrupting network traffic? I recently had a problem with uBlock Origin, I had a corrupt blocking list and it caused some sites (including local sites like my router web interface) to not respond.

You didn't clarify whether you tried other browsers on your desktop, only that other devices work. Have you been able to access it on Edge/IE/Firefox etc on your desktop?

None of the other browsers work on my desktop, I went into incognito mode and tried it but it still didn't load

Just now, PhoenixArising said:

None of the other browsers work on my desktop, I went into incognito mode and tried it but it still didn't load

That implies that you may have some software on your desktop that's interfering with network traffic. Have you run a recent scan for malware on that system, or have you checked your HOSTS file for any odd entries? It's found at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and can be viewed in notepad since it's just a text file.

Also, what security software do you run?

16 minutes ago, Tabs said:

That implies that you may have some software on your desktop that's interfering with network traffic. Have you run a recent scan for malware on that system, or have you checked your HOSTS file for any odd entries? It's found at C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc and can be viewed in notepad since it's just a text file.

Also, what security software do you run?

No odd entries in HOSTS. I run malwarebytes and bitdefender, running a system scan now

Edit - Malewarebaytes came up with nothing, bitdefender is still running

11 minutes ago, PhoenixArising said:

It's worth noting that Bitdefender includes various forms of network monitoring itself to try to protect you from bad pages etc. If you're sure you're connecting to the correct bank site (and not a phishing one), it may be worth uninstalling Bitdefender temporarily and trying it again.

Note: I mentioned uninstalling it because many system protection suites keep their components memory-resident when disabled, in a passthrough mode. This means that any issues arising from the use of the software can't be fully diagnosed without the software being removed completely. You can reinstall it after testing.

4 minutes ago, Tabs said:

Disabled bitdefender and the site finally loaded. Never realized that bitdefender would be the thing causing the issue lol

1 minute ago, PhoenixArising said:

Disabled bitdefender and the site finally loaded. Never realized that bitdefender would be the thing causing the issue lol

Glad you got it sorted mate. You swapping to a different security package or just disabling the network stuff Bitdefender does?

Just now, Tabs said:

Glad you got it sorted mate. You swapping to a different security package or just disabling the network stuff Bitdefender does?

Will probably just disable the network stuff

3 minutes ago, PhoenixArising said:

Will probably just disable the network stuff

That's fair enough.

Well, hopefully you won't have any more problems in future, but if you do, it'll be worth keeping an eye on it in case updates to the software re-enable those features.