SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD caused by NTFS.sys

D13H4RD

I’m curious about this since it popped up randomly while just using my laptop as normal, watching anime will doing work with Discord running.

From what I’ve read, it’s related to the NTFS filesystem but subsequent disk checks and memory tests found nothing out of the ordinary.

Out of curiosity, how would you explain this? Windows 10 64-bit Version 1709 BTW

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I’m curious about this since it popped up randomly while just using my laptop as normal, watching anime will doing work with Discord running.

From what I’ve read, it’s related to the NTFS filesystem but subsequent disk checks and memory tests found nothing out of the ordinary.

Out of curiosity, how would you explain this? Windows 10 64-bit Version 1709 BTW

1st priority when dealing with drive issues back up your data then try to figure it out.

could be a bad sector, could be malware or a virus messing with the drives filesystem, it could just have been an improper shutdown that cause some corruption in the filesystem.

Have you noticed any issues with slower then normal seek and write times?

The occasional read/write error?

These can point to drive issues

When you say disk checks is that just the windows based disk check or did you boot from a usb/cd and run the hdd/ssd manufactures tool to verify the hardware? If you have not done this I would do it. Run a full test it may find and repair issues windows can not and potentially save you loosing data down the road. Also if you laptop is still under warranty then you may be able to get the drive replaced if the scan finds a error it can't repair.

iirc this is a known problem with some laptops, booting without a battery inserted might solve it permanently for you.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, kalnick said:

1st priority when dealing with drive issues back up your data then try to figure it out.

could be a bad sector, could be malware or a virus messing with the drives filesystem, it could just have been an improper shutdown that cause some corruption in the filesystem.

Have you noticed any issues with slower then normal seek and write times?

The occasional read/write error?

These can point to drive issues

When you say disk checks is that just the windows based disk check or did you boot from a usb/cd and run the hdd/ssd manufactures tool to verify the hardware? If you have not done this I would do it. Run a full test it may find and repair issues windows can not and potentially save you loosing data down the road. Also if you laptop is still under warranty then you may be able to get the drive replaced if the scan finds a error it can't repair.

I’ve done all the tests. Drive health is fine.

Have not experienced other I/O errors. It just came up out of nowhere.

I did some more testing and it passed. It’s a 3 month old laptop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I’ve done all the tests. Drive health is fine.

Have not experienced other I/O errors. It just came up out of nowhere.

I did some more testing and it passed. It’s a 3 month old laptop.

Uhm... Keep an eye on it. Maybe windows 10 just did something to itself it didn't like and puked. Windows is known for that  lol

3 minutes ago, kalnick said:

That’s my suspicion. Ever since updating to the FC update, it had 3 random bluescreens with no correlation to each other.

With all that said, I did do a DDU reinstall of my graphics drivers and also updated a fair few drivers while also uninstalling old ones amongst other things. I also uninstalled Avast since others have mentioned that it may cause such issues.