Getting to choose a laptop for my birthday, need options

So my 18th birthday is coming up in just over a month, and my dad decided he wanted to give me something around 1k dollars in price. We live in Uruguay, so this means US retail prices are often multiplied by 1.5 to 2.0 once they reach here. I didn't really want to ask for anything specific but since he had no idea, he asked me for help. We concluded a laptop would be best. I'm visiting him on 12/10 and we'll look at options there. My idea is to start compiling a list now to make it easier to check with him.

The specifics should be:

• Budget: around 750 dollars max for US retail (shipping costs would raise the price to a bit over 1k here)

• Future proofing: I need it to be fixable in the future. Probably not a soldered CPU for example, and possible RAM and HDD/SSD upgrades (I'm cool with only having space for one drive, just wanna be able to take the old one out and put a new one in)

• Basic gaming specs: Basically any graphics card, as long as it makes a real difference vs no GPU, a quad core if possible, and at least 6-8 GB RAM

• Size doesn't matter

• Battery life is important but not priority

• Not a huge need for I/O as long as I can plug in a mouse and headphones (Though being able to add an external hard drive would be great)

• If possible, not a glossy screen, lots of sunlight where I live and it can get annoying.

EDIT: I'd be using it for gaming, probably programming, and music creation.

All I have checked are the Razer Blades but it seems none are in my reach, unless I missed something. I'm not very knowledgeable in laptops.

Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll update this post with submitted options to have it organized.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154733&Tpk=34-154-733

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315926&Tpk=34-315-926

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154734

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S16KG4256

"Anything that could one day be is as real as what I'm saying
If something is nothing it must not be something in any possible way"

-John Frusciante

16 minutes ago, Burz said:

So my 18th birthday is coming up in just over a month, and my dad decided he wanted to give me something around 1k dollars in price. We live in Uruguay, so this means US retail prices are often multiplied by 1.5 to 2.0 once they reach here. I didn't really want to ask for anything specific but since he had no idea, he asked me for help. We concluded a laptop would be best. I'm visiting him on 12/10 and we'll look at options there. My idea is to start compiling a list now to make it easier to check with him.

The specifics should be:

• Budget: around 750 dollars max for US retail (shipping costs would raise the price to a bit over 1k here)

• Future proofing: I need it to be fixable in the future. Probably not a soldered CPU for example, and possible RAM and HDD/SSD upgrades (I'm cool with only having space for one drive, just wanna be able to take the old one out and put a new one in)

• Basic gaming specs: Basically any graphics card, as long as it makes a real difference vs no GPU, a quad core if possible, and at least 6-8 GB RAM

• Size doesn't matter

• Not a huge need for I/O as long as I can plug in a mouse and headphones (Though being able to add an external hard drive would be great)

• If possible, not a glossy screen, lots of sunlight where I live and it can get annoying.

All I have checked are the Razer Blades but it seems none are in my reach, unless I missed something. I'm not very knowledgeable in laptops.

Thank you!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ask me about your system builds, AIO's, CPU's, PSU's, and GPU's.

22 minutes ago, Burz said:

The specifics should be:

• Size doesn't matter

Thank you!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834315926&Tpk=34-315-926

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154734

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8S16KG4256

32 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

Thank you, but what's up with the Eluktronics laptop? "No Storage, No RAM, No Op Sys"

Edit: Ah, because I said I could upgrade those later. Lol thanks. I do need it to come with the hardware preinstalled though so I guess for now I'll look at the other options

-John Frusciante

I'll take as many suggestions as possible, if anyone has good leads please post them! Thanks.

-John Frusciante

1 hour ago, Burz said:

Thank you, but what's up with the Eluktronics laptop? "No Storage, No RAM, No Op Sys"

Edit: Ah, because I said I could upgrade those later. Lol thanks. I do need it to come with the hardware preinstalled though so I guess for now I'll look at the other options

yes i thought that you could easily buy ram and storage were you live as it does not matter what brand it is and that it would be cheaper then buying it from the us and pay lots of import tax 

56 minutes ago, ricksteendam1 said:

yes i thought that you could easily buy ram and storage were you live as it does not matter what brand it is and that it would be cheaper then buying it from the us and pay lots of import tax 

You might be right, but import tax is still embedded on retail prices here haha. Thank you though. I'll look into it

-John Frusciante

Avoid MSI GL, mediocre build quality and cooling

N850HK1 is a decent choice. Also consider W650KK1, desktop CPU in a laptop without paying a premium

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128