Need some suggestions for new PC

xDyl

So, I’ve been here a lot changing my plan around a lot to try and save as much money as I can. I know I have a lot of help posts but I’m just trying to get the best for for my needs.

Basically, I am building a new machine and want to know a few things. First off, here is the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($414.00 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - R1 Ultimate 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.99 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming K6 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($161.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($164.17 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ B&H) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB STRIX Video Card  ($179.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1075.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-01 17:28 EST-0500

I need the 8700K for its 12 threads, since I do virtualization. But, I only have a 1080p monitor and game lightly (ETS2, Cities: Skylines, Stardew, BeamNG.drive) so I put the 1050 Ti.

Here’s what I would like to know:

1. Will the 8700K bottleneck the 1050 Ti in the way I am using it?

2. I have an old case and never used PSU (from 2003) that are sitting around. What are the chances of the PSU having all the connections I need?

Note: I cannot use Ryzen or a GTX 1060 for the OS I will run.

Thank you LTT community!

~Dyl

"I'm not really that old, I'm just 18 + shipping" -Unknown

Please tell me why you aren't on dark theme already.

Herro my dark theme brothers.

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

Phone: iPhone 7 Plus that is patiently waiting to be jailbroken.

The 1050Ti won't bottleneck the 8700K.

If the PSU has enough SATA connections, a 4+4pin EPS connector, and a 20+4pin ATX connector you're pretty much all set on connection. I would personally get a newer one, there's no telling what kind of quality an old PSU from 2003 has.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Hey Dyl its Dyl here, the 8700k is a monster and will not bottleneck anywhere in the near future, the only thing that is a little shoddy is the 2003 psu, the capacitors could have degraded from just sitting along with anything else that is in it (it is fourteen years old at this point) I would say to invest in a newer psu because it will probably put out cleaner power with less variations in voltage to your components. Second the efficiency from a gold standard power supply from 2017 will be easily noticeable in heat output and power draw from a psu manufactured in 2003. I usually recommend to use new psu's because they are fire risks when you really don't know the condition the internals might be in. Other than that you should be good to go.

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The 1050Ti won't bottleneck the 8700K.

If the PSU has enough SATA connections, a 4+4pin EPS connector, and a 20+4pin ATX connector you're pretty much all set on connection. I would personally get a newer one, there's no telling what kind of quality an old PSU from 2003 has.

I think I worded this wrong. Will the GPU bottleneck the CPU for what I’m doing is what I meant

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro Mid-2012 Non-Retinai7-3720QM, 8GB DDR3L-1600, 250GB SSD, macOS 10.13

11 minutes ago, Dylard said:

Hey Dyl its Dyl here, the 8700k is a monster and will not bottleneck anywhere in the near future, the only thing that is a little shoddy is the 2003 psu, the capacitors could have degraded from just sitting along with anything else that is in it (it is fourteen years old at this point) I would say to invest in a newer psu because it will probably put out cleaner power with less variations in voltage to your components. Second the efficiency from a gold standard power supply from 2017 will be easily noticeable in heat output and power draw from a psu manufactured in 2003. I usually recommend to use new psu's because they are fire risks when you really don't know the condition the internals might be in. Other than that you should be good to go.

Thanks Dyl!

i think I worded my question wrong - will the 8700K bottleneck the 1050Ti for 1080p games / virtual machines?

Spoiler

Not a chance! The 8700k can take on any graphics card on the market at the moment and not even bat an eye you should be fine!

4 minutes ago, Dylard said:

Not a chance! The 8700k can take on any graphics card on the market at the moment and not even bat an eye you should be fine!

Sounds good thanks!

just didn’t want the GPU to be too weak for my CPU. I need those 12 threads but not something like a 1070 lol

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Dylard said:

Debatable, places are still selling GeForce 210s. I have a feeling one of those might bottleneck a CPU as recent as the 8700K. But that's just me.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

3 hours ago, xDyl said:

I need those 12 threads but not something like a 1070 lol

Honestly, why not just use the iGPU? Unless you need to run more displays than the iGPU can support, I'm not seeing much reason for you to not use it. Plus it saves a bit of cash

@xDyl,

Unless you really need to overclock the cpu, you might consider going with the i7-8700. This would allow for a less expensive cpu cooler; something like the Cryorig H7. The locked i7-8700 has performance very close to a stock i7-8700K.

The 24-pin motherboard main power connector was introduced in 2003 and SATA power connectors became required. So count the pins on the main power connector. 20-pins is old and would require an adapter, something that isn't recommended. Consider though the investment being made in the cpu, motherboard, and memory. A very good current generation psu is going to provide much cleaner power than one build 14 years ago.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

13 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Honestly, why not just use the iGPU? Unless you need to run more displays than the iGPU can support, I'm not seeing much reason for you to not use it. Plus it saves a bit of cash

Well, as I have mentioned, I play games like Cities: Skylines, BeamNG.drive, ETS2, etc. and I don’t think the IGPU could hold it’s standard.

12 hours ago, brob said:

@xDyl,

Unless you really need to overclock the cpu, you might consider going with the i7-8700. This would allow for a less expensive cpu cooler; something like the Cryorig H7. The locked i7-8700 has performance very close to a stock i7-8700K.

The 24-pin motherboard main power connector was introduced in 2003 and SATA power connectors became required. So count the pins on the main power connector. 20-pins is old and would require an adapter, something that isn't recommended. Consider though the investment being made in the cpu, motherboard, and memory. A very good current generation psu is going to provide much cleaner power than one build 14 years ago.

Well, I may end up opting for that when the H/B series come out. If they don’t make it in time for me to build, then I’ll go for the 8700K, but I think I would like the 8700 better since it’s my first PC and I don’t see myself needing an OC.

Edit: forgot about PSU

I am going to invest in a 550W Focus Plus, I’ve decided.

Spoiler