Xbox one controller with PC

So, I have 2 Xbox 360 wireless controllers hooked up to my PC via the old xbox wireless adapter.

Now I want to get 2 Xbox one/one s controllers (cause they look so much cooler :P).  I believe they connect via Bluetooth/ wireless adapter or even usb.

However, my desktop doesn't have Bluetooth and I want to avoid using them as wired so here are my questions.

1. Can I use Xbox one controller with the old xbox 360 wireless adapter?

2. What affordable Bluetooth dongle will work? Because the Xbox one wirless adapter is more expensive than the controllers here. 

3. Any other solutions to this? Hopefully budget friendly.

Thanks in advance

Bluetooth is only on Xbox One S controllers (also known as revised Xbox Wireless Controller), if I am not mistaken.

1. No.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

2. Look for sales. The main thing you'll want to look at will be USB or possibly PCIe card. USB will be cheaper, but if you want better range for some other application in the future, PCIe might be better.

This one is on sale and send to be rated well. But your region may be different.

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-Medialink-Energy-Technology/dp/B004LNXO28

Here is a wireless card with Bluetooth.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HF8K0O6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512129119&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=pcie+bluetooth+card&dpPl=1&dpID=41BpgO0sa-L&ref=plSrch

I haven't looked into it much, but I use a PS3 controller on my PC, but keep it wired.

25 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

2. What affordable Bluetooth dongle will work? Because the Xbox one wirless adapter is more expensive than the controllers here. 

I think whatever you choose will work. I have some cheap dongle and it found my xbox one controler. But it was a bit weird, it was connected but there was a problem with using it while streaming from xbox. But it should work ok with PC games, I mean, PC found it and it was connected.

21 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

Bluetooth is only on Xbox One S controllers (also known as revised Xbox Wireless Controller), if I am not mistaken.

1. No.

Are you saying the Xbox one controller doesn't have Bluetooth but the Xbox one s does?

59 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

Are you saying the Xbox one controller doesn't have Bluetooth but the Xbox one s does?

Correct. That's the original first version of Xbox One controllers. Nowadays the newer controllers are sold under same name apparently.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

Yeah, I'm not sure how you can tell the difference between the old, no Bluetooth model vs the new Bluetooth model. I do have both, but it is obvious to me since my old one is black (I bought the bundle that came with the wireless receiver IIRC) and my new one that is white (came with the Xbox One S console). Obviously controllers come in all kinds of colors so I'll see if can see any other differences when I get home. But online apparently you can tell based on the mold.

EDIT: Check with my controllers and yeah the reddit posts looks true. It may be difficult to spot looking at the picture on the box if you get a pure black controller though. Hopefully something on the box says it has bluetooth.

keep in mind that not all features work with BT, some require Xbox wireless or USB.

Firmware upgrades, button remapping, audio, vibration. From my experience, BT isn't nearly as reliable either, but if you have a decent BT device it should be fine.  Shouldn't be much of a problem but something to keep in mind.

oh and if you're looking at controllers in the box, the old non-BT ones are in green boxes. The newer wireless+BT controllers are a white box with Green bottom, and specifically say for Windows 10 and Xbox One. 

13 hours ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

keep in mind that not all features work with BT, some require Xbox wireless or USB.

Firmware upgrades, button remapping, audio, vibration. From my experience, BT isn't nearly as reliable either, but if you have a decent BT device it should be fine.  Shouldn't be much of a problem but something to keep in mind.

oh and if you're looking at controllers in the box, the old non-BT ones are in green boxes. The newer wireless+BT controllers are a white box with Green bottom, and specifically say for Windows 10 and Xbox One. 

I think ill ending up getting the wireless adapter, I use the one for the 360 controller now and it works perfectly!