Keyboards, and finger/wrist pain

Watashi

I will occasionally notice feelings of pain or weakness in my fingers and wrists after multiple consecutive hours of PC use. I'm still a younger person (only 21 years old) and I have often just blew these feelings off telling myself things like "oh I'm still young, I'll worry about that later". Now after typing this, I realize that line of thinking has gotten aided me allowing myself to make some pretty bad choices. Linus's recent review of the split keyboard got me thinking, how much can a keyboard actually help ameliorate these issues? Is it just a gimmick or can certain keyboards truly help. I am curious to hear some of your guys input on the matter. And some things that you have found helpful

I'm sure you've heard Linus mention the 3 ways your wrists tend to bend in an unnatural way when typing, and these keyboards would alleviate those issues, but it's possible that your pain isn't caused by any of those but just the act of typing (moving fingers) in general.  Just something to think about.  If so, some of the keyboards would even help with that, some would not.  You might want to start by getting tested to see what specific motions are causing the pain.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

-snip-

From some of the things I've seen online, with my current configuration, my wrists bend upwards more than what is optimal. I do not even have a wrist wrest with my current setup. Also my desk is maybe an inch too high, and my chair does not adjust any higher. I have thought of multiple different ways to help ameliorate my issue.

When you say, "get tested" I assume that you mean talking to a health care professional? 

Just now, Doomerson said:

From some of the things I've seen online, with my current configuration, my wrists bend upwards more than what is optimal. I do not even have a wrist wrest with my current setup. Also my desk is maybe an inch too high, and my chair does not adjust any higher. I have thought of multiple different ways to help ameliorate my issue.

When you say, "get tested" I assume that you mean talking to a health care professional? 

Yeah, I think they can figure out what the problem is better than any random person on a forum.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah, I think they can figure out what the problem is better than any random person on a forum.

I certainly agree with that. However, the pain is not too intense, and is only noticeable after hours of use. I assumed that I would not be the only person on the forums who has experienced this issue, and I may be able to find some help, or suggestions from other people on the forums. Also it would be nice to figure out the issue now than have to wait until my next check up :P (speaking of that, I am certainly due)

Also, the night theme is amazing.

9 hours ago, Doomerson said:

Also my desk is maybe an inch too high, and my chair does not adjust any higher.

If you don't want to get a new chair you can make it higher. 

https://www.amazon.com/Office-Chair-Wheels-Owl-Replacement/dp/B01KET1PUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512052986&sr=8-3&keywords=office+owl+office+chair+wheels

I got these and they add almost an inch of height to my chair. Also make it roll better on carpet. 

24 minutes ago, geo3 said:

If you don't want to get a new chair you can make it higher. 

https://www.amazon.com/Office-Chair-Wheels-Owl-Replacement/dp/B01KET1PUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1512052986&sr=8-3&keywords=office+owl+office+chair+wheels

I got these and they add almost an inch of height to my chair. Also make it roll better on carpet. 

Wow, thanks! I'm going to check on the exact height of those wheels versus my own before I make the choice, but thanks for the heads up.