1 Displayport, multiple monitors

JoePoohsta
Go to solution Solved by mmCharles,

I had an issue slightly similar to this. I picked up two 75Hz monitors which only support HDMI and VGA. My graphics card only has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPort outputs. I bought a cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adapter on eBay thinking it wasn't a big deal, but it was in the end. DisplayPort adapters can be a little iffy with their outputs.

This guide helped me:

Hey, I need some help.

So recently I bought a new 75hz monitor. For this reason, I want to use a DisplayPort. 

I also want to use 2 monitors for my PC. My old monitor that I want to use, only has 1 HDMI port, though.

My GTX 1070 has 2 DisplayPorts, and 2 HDMI ports.

Would it be enough to just buy a Displayport to HDMI cable? 

For example:

- 1 Displayport to HDMI Cable into my old monitor with 1 HDMI port ( Using the 1st DisplayPort port of my Graphics Card )

- 1 Displayport to my new 75hz monitor ( Using the 2nd DisplayPort port of my Graphics Card )

I'm just not sure if the DisplayPort to HDMI cable would still support the use of multiple monitors, even though the port of the old monitor is still HDMI.

( Also, I don't need the quality of 75hz on my old monitor, it's 60hz anyways. I simply want to use it for music, internet, etc. I'm just questioning if the use of multiple monitors is possible this way. )

Sorry if I misused any terms. English is not my native language.

Would appreciate the help!

Old monitor: Samsung T24C300

New monitor: LG 24MP59G-P

Graphics card: Asus Geforce GTX 1070 Dual OC

You can do that, the DP signal is converted within the adapter to HDMI. 

But why not just use one of the HDMI ports for the HDMI monitor? 

I had an issue slightly similar to this. I picked up two 75Hz monitors which only support HDMI and VGA. My graphics card only has 1 HDMI and 3 DisplayPort outputs. I bought a cheap DisplayPort to HDMI adapter on eBay thinking it wasn't a big deal, but it was in the end. DisplayPort adapters can be a little iffy with their outputs.

This guide helped me:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.95GHz [1.365v] // Mobo: ASRock B350 Pro4 // GPU: EVGA GTX1070 8GB SC Black Edition

Case: NZXT S340 Elite // Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 // RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB 3066MHz // Misc: NZXT Hue+

Storage: WD Green 120GB M.2, SK HyniX 250GB SSD, Samsung Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate 3TB 7200RPM // PSU: Corsair RM750X

CPU-Z Validation // Userbenchmark // PC Part Picker

My bad. Guess I overlooked the fact that it's possible with just the HDMI port. The first time I tried it, it didn't work properly, and I was under the impression that HDMI didn't support the mulitple monitor function anyways.

Thanks anyway, solved!

7 minutes ago, JoePoohsta said:

My bad. Guess I overlooked the fact that it's possible with just the HDMI port. The first time I tried it, it didn't work properly, and I was under the impression that HDMI didn't support the mulitple monitor function anyways.

Thanks anyway, solved!

HDMI ports don't support multiple monitors from a single port (i.e. with splitters), they can still be used in multi-monitor configurations when each monitor has its own individual connection.