Need help with last case FAN placement + humming noise

luckerr

Hello everyone,

here is my setup with all the fans and directions: https://imgur.com/a/fZm7C

CASE fans: 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM
CPU fan: Noctua NH-D15
PSU: SeaSonic - PRIME Platinum 750W
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5

I've still got one more Noctua NF-A14 PWM.. but I don't know where to place it. Can you please help me?

I have already good temps.. but my main problem is humming noice from the rear top case where the case fan is. I disconnect the fan - no humming noice. So I ordered the same one again.. changed it .. and humming noise is back. I have no idea how to fix that (it sounds like a turbulence sound). It also disappears when I take off the side panel of the case.

So my idea is turn over the PSU to have fan downwards + add one more noctua case fun. But maybe you can help me where.

Thank you for every tip and answer!

Put it on the front panel above the fan you already have there, psu fan facing down if there is an intake there for it

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

38 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Put it on the front panel above the fan you already have there, psu fan facing down if there is an intake there for it

OK, thank you. I will do that and report back If the humming sound still persists.

50 minutes ago, luckerr said:

OK, thank you. I will do that and report back If the humming sound still persists.

Oh, didnt notice the humming in your first post. Is the fan vibrating? If so, then it is probably defective and imbalanced or warped.

CPU: Ryzen 1700@3.9ghz; GPU: EVGA 560 Ti 1gb; RAM: 16gb 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000; PCPP: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/b3xzzM

2 hours ago, Thermosman said:

Oh, didnt notice the humming in your first post. Is the fan vibrating? If so, then it is probably defective and imbalanced or warped.

I already change the fan.. it did not help. But If I put my hand on the back of the case (exactly where is the fan).. it stops. It also stops when I open the side case panel. I don't know what to do already to be honest.

I flipped the PSU, but did not help with humming sound.

1 minute ago, luckerr said:

I already change the fan.. it did not help. But If I put my hand on the back of the case (exactly where is the fan).. it stops. It also stops when I open the side case panel. I don't know what to do already to be honest.

I flipped the PSU, but did not help with humming sound.

Putting your hand on it may make it stop humming becuase you stop it from moving at all. The fan is proabably defective unfortuantely, but noctua may replace it for free if you have a warranty

33 minutes ago, Thermosman said:

Putting your hand on it may make it stop humming becuase you stop it from moving at all. The fan is proabably defective unfortuantely, but noctua may replace it for free if you have a warranty

I totally understand what you mean.. but as I wrote.. different fan (the same type) did not help. I already bought once to replace it.

1 minute ago, luckerr said:

I totally understand what you mean.. but as I wrote.. different fan (the same type) did not help. I already bought once to replace it.

Does it make noise when not mounted to the case?

Do you have hdd on your pc? Define r5 has problems with hdd vibrations...

12 hours ago, Thermosman said:

Does it make noise when not mounted to the case?

Actually I tried to disconnect the FAN again.. and the noise came back after 10-15 minutes again :X. I also tried to move the fan a bit lower/higher - did not help too.

I don't know what to do to be honest.. I still can not track where from the sound is coming. 

10 hours ago, ringo said:

Do you have hdd on your pc? Define r5 has problems with hdd vibrations...

Yes, I do. You can see the position of the hdd on the picture in my post. Bottom right is my SSD .. and above is 1 ''slot'' clear and above is my Seaget 2TB HDD.

try with that HDD disabled and report back.

In my case (also Define R5) HDD vibrates and then vibration go to side panel that produces humming sound....

6 minutes ago, ringo said:

try with that HDD disabled and report back.

In my case (also Define R5) HDD vibrates and then vibration go to side panel that produces humming sound....

So should I try to only unplug the hdd? Or take out whole hdd holding case?

Just unplug the hdd and report.  You have Windows on ssd, right? 

7 hours ago, ringo said:

Just unplug the hdd and report.  You have Windows on ssd, right? 

You were right. With unplugged hdd the humming sound is gone :o ! So now I have to figure out..how to keep the hdd and get rid of the sound

2 hours ago, luckerr said:

You were right. With unplugged hdd the humming sound is gone :o ! So now I have to figure out..how to keep the hdd and get rid of the sound

Try what this commented:

1. remove unused trays

2. screw in the ones you do use (screws for 2.5" drives will work)

3. add sound dampener to 4 screws at bottom, and 2 screws at the sideside

on my r5 screws for 2.5" couldn't fit so I found other screws. When you try this could you report here and tell me did it help you? I didn't try all this, I only put some screws (you put screws on the side of hdd cage, where is side connection to hdd), I didn't put screws in all usable trays so I hear a little buzzing, will try with all screws and sound dampeners soon.

Also I found that many users of R5 have this problem, big minus for fractal design.

1 hour ago, ringo said:

Try what this commented:

1. remove unused trays

2. screw in the ones you do use (screws for 2.5" drives will work)

3. add sound dampener to 4 screws at bottom, and 2 screws at the sideside

on my r5 screws for 2.5" couldn't fit so I found other screws. When you try this could you report here and tell me did it help you? I didn't try all this, I only put some screws (you put screws on the side of hdd cage, where is side connection to hdd), I didn't put screws in all usable trays so I hear a little buzzing, will try with all screws and sound dampeners soon.

Also I found that many users of R5 have this problem, big minus for fractal design.

I am sorry..the sound came back again. BUT I am 100% sure what’s the problem now. My back panel resoning at around 900-1000rpm when the fan is on.

I can even feel it on my hand. As I already wrote before - I tried the same (new one) fan - but did not help. So fans are OK.

Do you have any idea?:/