Refresh rate question

SteveTam93

Hello,

I recently bought the Omen 144hz monitor (It was on sale for almost 50% off).  After setting it all up, I went straight to the nvidia control panel to adjust the resolutions, and I noticed these two.

5a1cc7740c8da_hdresolution.PNG.08aeeb9a2377b0848de1f40911673d98.PNG

The image above was the preset.  The one below is when I adjusted it to get 144hz.

5a1cc76db6480_PCresolution.PNG.bc689c15fb8d1d946f79c092945bf097.PNG

My question is if there is a difference if I select from the "Ultra HD, HS, SD" and "PC" menus, other than the adjustable refresh rates?  From the looks of it on screen, everything is pretty clear after making the adjustments to contrast, brightness, etc.

Also, this monitor came with Omen software.  Will I need the software for anything if I only use this for every day use/occasional gaming?

Thank you!

if it's running at it's native res and the correct refresh rate then it's fine job done.

30 minutes ago, SteveTam93 said:

My question is if there is a difference if I select from the "Ultra HD, HS, SD" and "PC" menus, other than the adjustable refresh rates?  From the looks of it on screen, everything is pretty clear after making the adjustments to contrast, brightness, etc.

my guess is that they are just presets grouped by usage. But if you have your desired resolution and refresh rate then you don't need to worry about it. Off topic but I find Windows settings and display adaptor properties to be better for checking and changing monitor settings unless you need to create a custom resolution.

41 minutes ago, SteveTam93 said:

Also, this monitor came with Omen software.  Will I need the software for anything if I only use this for every day use/occasional gaming?

No. It will likely add unnecessary features and bloatware. Only download and use it if there is a feature that it offers that you want to use.