Transporting desktop

Swegly

I am going to move my PC from sweden to california in a couple weeks so I was wondering what the best way to pack everything is. I will put the PC you see in my signature into a checked-in baggage on an airplane.

I will remove the ram and harddrives to put in antistatic bags which Ill take carryon. 

Should I do the same with the GPU?

Obviously I will take out my h100i and place that in luggage that only has clothing in it.

Any advice appreciated thanks!

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

You will need to add support to the graphics card if you intend to leave it in. Otherwise nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Vadise said:

You will need to add support to the graphics card if you intend to leave it in. Otherwise nothing else.

Would it be better to add support to it and leave it in the case? or to put it in an antistatic bag and place it in a clothing suitcase?

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

i have done the same 2 times now, what you should do:

take the gpu, hard drives and in your case cooler as carry on, ram you can leave in there no problem, its too light to suffer anything at all, then try to protect the case with some padding, but also dont have it too full because you have to remember that the luggage is going to be compressed during the flight (weight on top of you luggage).

i think thats it any questions feel free to ask

I'd pull it out and keep it sepparate, the less parts in the case the better. You dont know where and how the machine is going to be in the cargo hold. If it is going to be upright, upside down, on it's side, or if it is going to have a lot of stuff stacked on top.

3 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

i have done the same 2 times now, what you should do:

take the gpu, hard drives and in your case cooler as carry on, ram you can leave in there no problem, its too light to suffer anything at all, then try to protect the case with some padding, but also dont have it too full because you have to remember that the bugage is going to be compressed during the flight (weight on top of you baggage).

i think thats it any questions feel free to ask

So harddrives, ram, and H100i all carry on in antistatic bags.

Graphics card in a separate clothing suitcase in an antistatic bag.

PC case with everything elese inside in a hardshell suitcase.

Got it all right?

Just now, Swegly said:

So harddrives, ram, and H100i all carry on in antistatic bags.

Graphics card in a separate clothing suitcase in an antistatic bag.

PC case with everything elese inside in a hardshell suitcase.

Got it all right?

yap, should be good :)

1 hour ago, GGWP1337 said:

In your position I would honestly sell the PC and buy a new PC in California :)

I am buying a new PC in california with a 1080 and i5 8600k but Im giving the PC Ill take in the suit case (my current PC)  to a family member.