Building a Desk

Magma

I am currently working on building a desk to use for gaming and my other projects. I have a general shape and layout drawn out and designed with minor adjustments that still need to be made. I am still new to building things and so I am looking to get some help.

For the desk top I am looking to have a black top that has a shine to it like plastic. What material should be used for this? The other option would be to use wood and polish it up with wax or 

I am also trying to figure out if the whole desk should be made out of this or if the base should be made out of wood which I have more experience working with. 

If anyone has experience with this kind of thing I would love to get some recommendations and tips for someone who is still learning.

Heyo, it's boyo here.

just use wood and veneer it like basically anyone else that wants a type of texture table. Everyone uses wood mostly except those metal table. Unless you actually want a plastic like table. Or just paint the wood black, sand it, and throw a few coats of polyurethane on it, will look pretty decent it will have that shin and the durability   

wood and black gloss paint or vinyl wrap

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Greg from Science Studio did 2 videos. He built his own desk. The videos:

Video 1:

Video 2:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Thank you! That helps a ton!

Heyo, it's boyo here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/22/2017 at 10:36 PM, Magma said:

I am currently working on building a desk to use for gaming and my other projects. I have a general shape and layout drawn out and designed with minor adjustments that still need to be made. I am still new to building things and so I am looking to get some help.

For the desk top I am looking to have a black top that has a shine to it like plastic. What material should be used for this? The other option would be to use wood and polish it up with wax or 

I am also trying to figure out if the whole desk should be made out of this or if the base should be made out of wood which I have more experience working with. 

If anyone has experience with this kind of thing I would love to get some recommendations and tips for someone who is still learning.

If you still want a wood grain look into minwax water base stains, their a phenomenal product and with the right sealant can produce what your looking for.