2 old HDDS not Responding

Majormuss

Hi all, 

The 2 old Hdds (see attached pictures) are not responding when I connect them to my laptop via a SATA III HDD usb 3.0 adapter.  I am not sure why it doesn't respond. Initially, I thought it might be because there isn't sufficient power from the USB 3.0 port but as you can see from the picture the Western Gate HDD requires only 5V: .68A. I know from googling that my USB 3.0 port can provide a max of Voltage= 5V, Current= .9A so I am not sure what the problem could be....I know that the Western Gate HDD works when its in it's my old pc. Any ideas?  

hdds.jpg

8 minutes ago, Majormuss said:

Hi all, 

The 2 old Hdds (see attached pictures) are not responding when I connect them to my laptop via a SATA III HDD usb 3.0 adapter.  I am not sure why it doesn't respond. Initially, I thought it might be because there isn't sufficient power from the USB 3.0 port but as you can see from the picture the Western Gate HDD requires only 5V: .68A. I know from googling that my USB 3.0 port can provide a max of Voltage= 5V, Current= .9A so I am not sure what the problem could be....I know that the Western Gate HDD works when its in it's my old pc. Any ideas?  

USB does not provide enough power to a 3.5" drive to spin up. The power stated is sustained usage, not startup usage which is slightly higher. Just like a car needing way more juice to start that to run. 

Source : https://superuser.com/questions/323452/why-is-my-3-5-sata-hard-drive-not-spinning-up-via-usb

It does matter what size the drive is. Large 3.5" hard drives require more power then what even two USB ports can provide. For reference, a single USB port can provide a maximum 500 mA of current. A Western Digital WD3200AAJS, on the other hand, requires 1444 mA at idle, and 1608 mA when reading/writing files to/from the drive.