Access point with router

swoffmaster

So I know this is probably a stupid question but I have a fios router that has a lot of connections to it via ethernet or WiFi. The thing runs very slow when everyone is home. I know the simple solution is to replace the router with a better one but that is not really an option. Thus I was wondering if I added an access point to handle all the wireless communication if that would help the router being slow? 

3 hours ago, swoffmaster said:

So I know this is probably a stupid question but I have a fios router that has a lot of connections to it via ethernet or WiFi. The thing runs very slow when everyone is home. I know the simple solution is to replace the router with a better one but that is not really an option. Thus I was wondering if I added an access point to handle all the wireless communication if that would help the router being slow? 

which fios router do you have? If it isn't the G1100 "Quantum Gateway" then you should ask for an upgrade - especially if you are paying monthly for your router and didn't buy it outright. The G1100 is significantly faster than any of the previous ones, both in terms of the wireless connection speed, and its internal processing speed.

Aside from that, yes if you add an AP (either a real AP, or a router made to function as an AP) to your network, then you can turn off the wireless on the Fios router and all clients will use the AP. Or if you can put some distance between the router and AP, you can leave both enabled and clients will connect to the stronger one. Whether that will help with the router "slowing down" matters greatly on what the actual cause of the slowdown is.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: