High refresh rate freesync vs low refresh rate freesync

Belbs
Go to solution Solved by SecretX,
4 minutes ago, Belbs said:

so would a 75hz freesync be good to pair with my rx 480 4gb? or would 144hz freesync be better/more future proof? I don't do fast-paced multiplayer gaming and also not willing to invest in higher resolution monitors. been looking into freesync monitors lately and there's a really good deal on a 1080p 75hz IPS display from LG here in the Philippines. should I go for it?

I'd edited my post, make sure to re-read it. Both monitors will be a good pair with your rx 480, if you are not planning to play competitive games such as CS:GO, Rainbow Six etc competitively go and buy the cheapest one. But if you are going to do that I said or just want to have a better refresh rate, buy the 144Hz.

My personal suggestion, on the other hand, since you are not going to play fast-paced multiplayer games, is to buy a IPS freesync monitor since IPS will improve the color accuracy and contrast making things looks awesome. Of course you can buy a 144Hz IPS but it's considerably more expensive so most people don't.

Hey guys. Been searching on the internet a lot lately about freesync and high refresh rate monitors and haven't quite found an answer to my question. Do I need a high refresh rate monitor to truly take advantage of its FreeSync capability assuming it has that technology? Basically what I'm saying is, does a high refresh rate Freesync monitor really matter? Or can I get away with a 75hz freesync display? Will a, for example, a 200hz freesync have better headroom for smoother frames versus a 75hz freesync? There really hasn't been a topic on the internet about this. Mostly the topics I've read are simply Freesync VS High refresh rate monitors. I decided to start my own topic. Thanks for any and all responses/replies :)

Higher refresh with FreeSync is better than the 75, but it also depends on the range that FreeSync will be active. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

No, it's the oposite. Let's say you have a monitor with a refresh rate of 144Hz (so it can effectively display up to 144 frames in one second, fps). What Freesync (for amd graphics card) and Gsync (for nvidia graphics card) does is lower the refresh rate of your monitor to match your actual fps so you don't get tearing (it just occurs when your fps is LOWER than the refresh rate of your monitor). If your fps is HIGHER than the refresh rate of your monitor then it will do nothing. 

BTW if you want to have a very nice experience what you have to do is either just turn on V-Sync (add input lag, but locks your fps so you'll never get tearing unless you are using a nonsense graphics config) or use Nvidia Fast Sync + Gsync (very nice, add input lag but less than V-Sync, downside is the price, G-Sync monitors are expensive).

Side note: The more Hz your monitor has, the less "noticeable" the tearing you get for going HIGHER fps than your monitor can display it became. 

More about that in this very interesting video:

5 minutes ago, SecretX said:

No, it's the oposite. Let's say you have a monitor with a refresh rate of 144Hz (so it can effectively display up to 144 frames in one second, fps). What Freesync and Gsync does is lower the refresh rate of your monitor to match your fps so you don't get tearing (it just occurs when your fps is LOWER than the refresh rate of your monitor. If your fps is HIGHER than the refresh rate of your monitor then it will do nothing).

More about that in this very interesting video:

so would a 75hz freesync be good to pair with my rx 480 4gb? or would 144hz freesync be better/more future proof? I don't do fast-paced multiplayer gaming and also not willing to invest in higher resolution monitors. been looking into freesync monitors lately and there's a really good deal on a 1080p 75hz IPS display from LG here in the Philippines. should I go for it?

4 minutes ago, Belbs said:

I'd edited my post, make sure to re-read it. Both monitors will be a good pair with your rx 480, if you are not planning to play competitive games such as CS:GO, Rainbow Six etc competitively go and buy the cheapest one. But if you are going to do that I said or just want to have a better refresh rate, buy the 144Hz.

My personal suggestion, on the other hand, since you are not going to play fast-paced multiplayer games, is to buy a IPS freesync monitor since IPS will improve the color accuracy and contrast making things looks awesome. Of course you can buy a 144Hz IPS but it's considerably more expensive so most people don't.

1 minute ago, SecretX said:

My personal suggestion, on the other hand, since you are not going to play fast-paced multiplayer games, is to buy a IPS freesync monitor since IPS will improve the color accuracy and contrast making things looks awesome.

I've also noticed that more than 100fps is so much smoother vs 60fps. I maxed DOOM out with Vulkan on my GPU and can get well above 144fps. Thankfully the game is immersive enough to barely notice any screen tearing. Anyway, thank you very much for the info! :) Thinking of getting a high refresh rate monitor with freesync to take advantage of my GPU's capabilities.

39 minutes ago, Belbs said:

Hey guys. Been searching on the internet a lot lately about freesync and high refresh rate monitors and haven't quite found an answer to my question. Do I need a high refresh rate monitor to truly take advantage of its FreeSync capability assuming it has that technology? Basically what I'm saying is, does a high refresh rate Freesync monitor really matter? Or can I get away with a 75hz freesync display? Will a, for example, a 200hz freesync have better headroom for smoother frames versus a 75hz freesync? There really hasn't been a topic on the internet about this. Mostly the topics I've read are simply Freesync VS High refresh rate monitors. I decided to start my own topic. Thanks for any and all responses/replies :)

FreeSync only operates below the refresh rate of your monitor, it turns off if you pass above. So if you have a 60 Hz monitor and you get 60 fps all the time, then it's useless.