Computer is Slow (stupid problem, difficult solution)

Chaffy

*NOTE: as I write this, my laptop took a good 5-10 minutes trying to shut down before eventually restarting itself; all issues have been fixed, and it is back to normal speed. However, I still wanted to post this just to see what could have been the issue. Thanks! 

Hey all, I’m new to the community, been watching LTT and techquickie for a couple years now. Really enjoy the content, keep up the great work! 

On to my problem: I have a Gigabyte Sabre 15 gaming laptop that I bought about 6 months ago. It has been an amazing laptop, ran some of my favorite games very well. Now I’m using it for college, and all of my class work must be submitted online. 

Over the last couple days, it suddenly got very slow, way out of the norm for its short age. There was no sort of “build up” to this problem; it just suddenly became slow one day when booting up. This seems like it should be a simple fix, but the problems are so diverse and random that I’m really not sure where to start. Here’s a list of issues I’m having: 

- certain basic functions attached to the keyboard don’t work until 10-15 seconds AFTER pushing the key. Examples include turning up and down my brightness, the button that turns off my screen (doesn’t shut down laptop though). It also takes 15-20 seconds to begin the shutdown process, however, after the screen has turned off, it takes around a full minute to fully shut down where no fans are running and the power light turns off. 

• note: the catch to this problem is that some functions work fine; volume changing (through my keyboard at least) works fine, for example

- I’ve used norton to fully scan my entire computer (all 900 thousand some odd files); 9 threats were found and fixed, but this did not improve speeds 

- WiFi takes at least 20 minutes before it will recognize and fully connect with any WiFi source (this includes school’s WiFi and my personal hotspot, so neither of those 2 should be the issue) 

- programs (such as Microsoft word or Discord) work fine (meaning at the speed I’m used to) once I’m in them; but opening them takes that previously mentioned 15-20 seconds.  

As mentioned in the fore-note, these issues are no longer present, but I still want to post this to see what in the world could have gone wrong. Shutting down, changing brightness; all that is normal. But what causes this to come up so randomly? Given that the issues are now gone, are there any tests I can run to ensure this doesn’t happen again, or at least figure out what went wrong? Has anyone seen something like this before? 

Computer specs: 

GIGABYTE Sabre 15

i7-7700HQ

GTX 1050Ti

16GB RAM

M.2 SSD w/ 256 GB + 1 TB HDD at 7200 RPM

Windows 10 Home edition 

I would guess it's windows being an arse.

Mainly because it took a long time for it acting like it was shut down (black screen) and actually being turned off properly and completely (no led's).

Windows 10 likes to do things without telling you about it...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, Chaffy said:

*NOTE: as I write this, my laptop took a good 5-10 minutes trying to shut down before eventually restarting itself; all issues have been fixed, and it is back to normal speed. However, I still wanted to post this just to see what could have been the issue. Thanks! 

Hey all, I’m new to the community, been watching LTT and techquickie for a couple years now. Really enjoy the content, keep up the great work! 

On to my problem: I have a Gigabyte Sabre 15 gaming laptop that I bought about 6 months ago. It has been an amazing laptop, ran some of my favorite games very well. Now I’m using it for college, and all of my class work must be submitted online. 

Over the last couple days, it suddenly got very slow, way out of the norm for its short age. There was no sort of “build up” to this problem; it just suddenly became slow one day when booting up. This seems like it should be a simple fix, but the problems are so diverse and random that I’m really not sure where to start. Here’s a list of issues I’m having: 

- certain basic functions attached to the keyboard don’t work until 10-15 seconds AFTER pushing the key. Examples include turning up and down my brightness, the button that turns off my screen (doesn’t shut down laptop though). It also takes 15-20 seconds to begin the shutdown process, however, after the screen has turned off, it takes around a full minute to fully shut down where no fans are running and the power light turns off. 

• note: the catch to this problem is that some functions work fine; volume changing (through my keyboard at least) works fine, for example

- I’ve used norton to fully scan my entire computer (all 900 thousand some odd files); 9 threats were found and fixed, but this did not improve speeds 

- WiFi takes at least 20 minutes before it will recognize and fully connect with any WiFi source (this includes school’s WiFi and my personal hotspot, so neither of those 2 should be the issue) 

- programs (such as Microsoft word or Discord) work fine (meaning at the speed I’m used to) once I’m in them; but opening them takes that previously mentioned 15-20 seconds.  

As mentioned in the fore-note, these issues are no longer present, but I still want to post this to see what in the world could have gone wrong. Shutting down, changing brightness; all that is normal. But what causes this to come up so randomly? Given that the issues are now gone, are there any tests I can run to ensure this doesn’t happen again, or at least figure out what went wrong? Has anyone seen something like this before? 

Computer specs: 

GIGABYTE Sabre 15

i7-7700HQ

GTX 1050Ti

16GB RAM

M.2 SSD w/ 256 GB + 1 TB HDD at 7200 RPM

Windows 10 Home edition 

I had a problem like this about 1-2 months ago, I just reset my laptop after putting up with it for a few days. I was just annoyed about how many thousands of songs I lost! :)

6 minutes ago, brandonmufc06 said:

I had a problem like this about 1-2 months ago, I just reset my laptop after putting up with it for a few days. I was just annoyed about how many thousands of songs I lost! :)

I wouldn’t have an issue with completely wiping and starting from fresh if I didn’t have so much schoolwork saved. Thankfully the issue isn’t there anymore so I don’t have to hassle with transferring all the saved homework assignments and such.